Good or Bad

• Total voters

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my cleaner shrimp don't even try to change my mind. But I was wondering is it actually a good thing when they clean your fish? Does it mean your fish is being bothered by an injury or parasites?

For example most of my fish are weirded out by my shrimp, skunk and fire, except my diamond goby. He visits my fire shrimp a lot and lets it poke about its mouth and gills. At first I thought it was really cool, now I wonder if its a sign my goby has injuries or parasites.
Any thoughts?
tempImage6fqm4r.png

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a bad sign, These gobies often get things caught in their gill rakes that pull food out of the sediment. Your cleaner shrimp is undoubtedly pulling these out and giving your goby some relief.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a natural thing, created by nature, that we get to witness in our living rooms. Check out some reef documentaries, there are "cleaning" stations on the reef where fish actually line up and wait their turn for a cleaning. It might clean your hand if you put it in the tank and let it

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a natural thing, created by nature, that we get to witness in our living rooms. Check out some reef documentaries, there are "cleaning" stations on the reef where fish actually line up and wait their turn for a cleaning. It might clean your hand if you put it in the tank and let it
I agree its great but those animals visiting in the docs are often covered in parasites. Thus my question. Though maybe my question is: Can a fish visiting a cleaner shrimp a lot be a potential early sign of a parasite or illness problem in the tank?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a bad sign, These gobies often get things caught in their gill rakes that pull food out of the sediment. Your cleaner shrimp is undoubtedly pulling these out and giving your goby some relief.
Makes sense. I still remember what that sand did to my hands when I rinsed it.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree its great but those animals visiting in the docs are often covered in parasites. Thus my question. Though maybe my question is: Can a fish visiting a cleaner shrimp a lot be a potential early sign of a parasite or illness problem in the tank?
Cleaning is a relative term honestly. I can be food stuck in gills or the mouth, excess mucous or slime coat. Any number of things really. Shrimp will eat literally anything on fish, most commonly dead scales and such. But still a valuable service.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, not a bad sign, and not exclusively a response to parasites. As a lot of fish don't even seem to act differently with some parasites visible, how can we be sure they even know if they have something tiny on their gills or skin? They may just have a habit developed through evolution that is to show up at a cleaning station every so often by default.

Cleaner shrimp (and fish) also seem to be more willing to clean than many fish want to actually be cleaned, so maybe some of the time the cleaner starts chasing and the fish just allows it to happen rather than shooing the cleaner away.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning is a relative term honestly. I can be food stuck in gills or the mouth, excess mucous or slime coat. Any number of things really. Shrimp will eat literally anything on fish, most commonly dead scales and such. But still a valuable service.
Don't get me wrong I love them and what they do. I honestly think that every tank that can have them should for these exact reasons.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everyones united, I'll concede the point. Just wanted to ask as I'd seen an old post about sick fish visiting shrimp:

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As people are saying it's not just parasites. They clean dead skin, left over food from the mouth/gills. Literally anything, they're greedy. The fish just allows them to do it because it's a natural response engrained into their DNA. It's beneficial to both parties, enjoy the show!

As some have said, they may even clean from your hands once they get used to you. Lovely little things.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few cases you can find on here or around the interweb about them sometimes eating ich parasites or maybe even flukes off of fish, but 9/10 its scales, food, or slime.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few cases you can find on here or around the interweb about them sometimes eating ich parasites or maybe even flukes off of fish, but 9/10 its scales, food, or slime.
Yep
Should have used my other example. Which is my late hawkfish that died of an infection after a jaw injury. My skunk tried a few times to pick at the infection. The hawk would only allow it briefly.

Back