Shrimp, crab, and invert friendly fish for my STOCK list.

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 175g on the way! 5 foot long 30 tall.

Aquascape will be tall with tons of nooks and crannies but not a lot of sand contact points.

I am beginning my stock list but that's not what this post is about. I would like to know what fish to absolutely avoid if I plan to have a few crustaceans and inverts. And also if there are any cool livestock besides fish that should live in my 175g that I'm building from scratch.

This is not a stock list in order or the final but I do know I want to have :

2x clowns
5-10 tangs
1-2 dwarf angles
later mandarin goby
flame or nice hawkfish
engineer goby or some other smaller goby that lives under the rock
trigger???
one butterfly???
emperor angel???

two cleaner shrimp
one or two fire shrimp or similar
a few emerald crabs or similar
some sort of decorative clam
snails and hermits

if anyone could give me some suggestions of different crabs or other livestock besides fish that would be great! I love the diversity in things to watch in the tank and so do my kids.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquascape will be tall with tons of nooks and crannies but not a lot of sand contact points.

I am beginning my stock list but that's not what this post is about. I would like to know what fish to absolutely avoid if I plan to have a few crustaceans and inverts. And also if there are any cool livestock besides fish that should live in my 175g that I'm building from scratch.

2x clowns
5-10 tangs
1-2 dwarf angles
later mandarin goby
flame or nice hawkfish
trigger???
one butterfly???
emperor angel???

two cleaner shrimp
snails and hermits

if anyone could give me some suggestions of different crabs or other livestock besides fish that would be great! I love the diversity in things to watch in the tank and so do my kids.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Just off the cuff, I would skip the engineer goby - they get huge and undermine the rockwork with their digging.
Are you going to have corals? If so, triggers, angels and butterfly fish need to be chosen with care, or skipped altogether. Pyramid butterflies and Genicanthus angels are often good choices.

I don't think that tank is large enough for 5-10 tangs, species dependent of course.

Royal gramma or a purple/yellow dottyback would be hardy and add some color.

I would be remiss if I didn't add that proper quarantine is important!

Jay

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2x clowns
5-10 tangs
1-2 dwarf angles
later mandarin goby
flame or nice hawkfish
trigger???
one butterfly???
emperor angel???

two cleaner shrimp
snails and hermits

A lot of fish had been reported to nip at clam mantles, which can put both the clam and fish at risk of significant bodily trauma(clam snaps are no joke). Wrasses are a big one I’ve heard of, plus tangs, angels and blennies. All these animals have their own temperaments but I’d say to just watch out for the clam.

Triggers can become bullies in addition to being generally not reef - safe, but there are a few nice species(Xanthicthys spp.) that both look good and work well with other fish. My LFS recommended me the sargassum, but those are expensive as all hell.
they’ll still probably eat inverts though.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2x clowns
5-10 tangs
1-2 dwarf angles
later mandarin goby
flame or nice hawkfish
trigger???
one butterfly???
emperor angel???

two cleaner shrimp
snails and hermits

Trigger, hawk fish will eat shrimps, and some butteflies may eat them off this list, the rest are good. And I have an engineer goby, love her. If you want one make sure your rocks are secure so when they tunnel they dont collapse! This is my girl Squirt, shes one of my favorite fish. Had her when she was a centimeter big, shes about 10 inches now! Very fun fish

Attachments

• IMG_2379.jpeg
    IMG_2379.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 45

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2x clowns
5-10 tangs
1-2 dwarf angles
later mandarin goby
flame or nice hawkfish
trigger???
one butterfly???
emperor angel???

two cleaner shrimp
snails and hermits

Would not go above 4 tangs, make sure they are medium sized. They are aggressive with other tangs so be careful what tangs you do get. Some are worse than others, but 5-10 is way too many

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not go above 4 tangs, make sure they are medium sized. They are aggressive with other tangs so be careful what tangs you do get. Some are worse than others, but 5-10 is way too many
Some Zebrasomas and convict tangs will school, but you may have to get a **** ton of them. Nevertheless having lots of different tang species isn't a great idea.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A banana fish(Pentapodus caninus) would be cool if you can manage to keep other things from attacking it. They're pretty fast and quite sizeable in adulthood.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger, hawk fish will eat shrimps, and some butteflies may eat them off this list, the rest are good. And I have an engineer goby, love her. If you want one make sure your rocks are secure so when they tunnel they dont collapse! This is my girl Squirt, shes one of my favorite fish. Had her when she was a centimeter big, shes about 10 inches now! Very fun fish
both LFS and local public aquarium has them over a foot long... I'm planning to get one! They're awesome.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both LFS and local public aquarium has them over a foot long... I'm planning to get one! They're awesome.
They are! Get a bad rap in my opinion. Shes never done anything destructive in my tank, had her a year

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an engineer goby and I do plan on my rocks being solid as well as set directly on the tank bottom before adding sand. Mine was tiny when I got him and he grew to about a foot or so long.

Also I’m surprised about y’all saying 4 or less tang. I guess this is the tang police?

I may be overestimating saying 10 tangs but I know I could handle 5 introducing in the right order and size as well as planning on the type.

I’ve housed successfully 5 tangs in the past. Sail fin, kole, naso, powder blue, and blue hippo.
Not necessarily added in that order.

I’m more wondering which type of fish to avoid for the shrimp and a clam.

As far as hawk fish. Even a flame hawk fish is a bad idea? When I had one before he seemed very non aggressive.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an engineer goby and I do plan on my rocks being solid as well as set directly on the tank bottom before adding sand. Mine was tiny when I got him and he grew to about a foot or so long.

Also I’m surprised about y’all saying 4 or less tang. I guess this is the tang police?

I may be overestimating saying 10 tangs but I know I could handle 5 introducing in the right order and size as well as planning on the type.

I’ve housed successfully 5 tangs in the past. Sail fin, kole, naso, powder blue, and blue hippo.
Not necessarily added in that order.

I’m more wondering which type of fish to avoid for the shrimp and a clam.

As far as hawk fish. Even a flame hawk fish is a bad idea? When I had one before he seemed very non aggressive.
Hawks eat anything they can swallow whole, flame hawks are just a lot smaller than arc - eyes and longnoses. As far as I know things screwing with clams is a hit or miss. There was someone who got a clownfish out of all things decapitated by a clam, but wrasses and blennies generally seem to be blamed more. I'd worry about the hawkfish plopping its butt right in its siphon and sitting there too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back