Shrimp Molting and goby behavior

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have an active pistol shrimp and YWG pair. Recently, they both are MIA for about a week. My assumption is that the shrimp is molting and therefore stay safe in his underground abode. My question is will the goby also stay hidden in the cave until the molting process is completed? Do they come out when the lights are off? If so should I feed the tank at night? Not that I can do anything but how much time needs to pass before becoming concerned.

Thanks

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have an active pistol shrimp and YWG pair. Recently, they both are MIA for about a week. My assumption is that the shrimp is molting and therefore stay safe in his underground abode. My question is will the goby also stay hidden in the cave until the molting process is completed? Do they come out when the lights are off? If so should I feed the tank at night? Not that I can do anything but how much time needs to pass before becoming concerned.

Thanks
My goby will usually wander around if the shrimp is molting. Just make sure you have some hermit crabs to clean up the goby if he is dead lol.

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted the shrimp yesterday but no sign of the YWG. Guess time will tell. Not much I can do now, hopefully everyone is ok

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s been close to two weeks and I’ve not seen my YWG, I believe that the pistol shrimp molted and in the last two days I’ve seen a quick glimpse of the shrimp. Could the YWG have been consumed?if I introduce another YWG and the i or original is still alive will they fight?

abragg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates? Did your goby and pistol come back out? My bumblebee goby and shrimp have been hiding a few days now

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they both resurfaced like after an afternoon nap.I’m amazed not really sure what they did? They’ve created multiple entrances in the original area. At one point I thought they just relocated to the back of the tank but now I’m not sure? Interesting pair

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think they come out after the lights are out. Once I did see the goby using a flashlight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back