Shrimps in pairs.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got into this hobby about 40 years ago coral banded and harlequin shrimps always came into my LFSs and were sold in pairs.

Now I only see them as single specimens for sale. These shrimps are nearly aways found on the reef and therefore collected in pairs so why don't we see them in our LFSs being sold in pairs anymore or at least not in the many LFSs I have been in here in the UK. Might be different in the country you are in if so please say so.

Both these species were also quite cheap to buy, not so anymore and in the UK at least the harlequin is twice the price of a cleaner shrimp for instance. Surely these shrimps haven't become rare in the Wild to justify the higher price or have they? Same goes for the coral banded shrimp.

I keep most of my fish in pairs and whenever possible I would keep my shrimps in pairs. I do have one harlequin shrimp to reduce the population of Asteria stars which I will probably move on once it's done it job however and a couple of peppermint shrimps.

Last edited:

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most shrimps dont live in pairs. I believe the coral banded, Harlequin and some pistols do but Lysmatas as the Skunk cleaner and Peppermints dont. Camel shrimps and Sexy shrimps dont.
The Harlequin is very aggressive against congeners so it is easier to hold just one in a tank. The same for the coral banded.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most shrimps dont live in pairs. I believe the coral banded, Harlequin and some pistols do but Lysmatas as the Skunk cleaner and Peppermints dont. Camel shrimps and Sexy shrimps dont.
The Harlequin is very aggressive against congeners so it is easier to hold just one in a tank. The same for the coral banded.
Yes I know but back on the day I kept mated pairs of both coralbanded and harlequin shrimps in pairs but not both species in the same tank.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that skunk shrimp are very social creatures and are happier in pairs so I got 2 for my second tank. Also made me unhappy with my lfs who talked me out of getting a pair for my first tank. It’s a good point that we do need to take into account what will make our pets as comfortable as possible when we take them from their homes to live in ours.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that skunk shrimp are very social creatures and are happier in pairs so I got 2 for my second tank. Also made me unhappy with my lfs who talked me out of getting a pair for my first tank. It’s a good point that we do need to take into account what will make our pets as comfortable as possible when we take them from their homes to live in ours.
Thats one if my longstanding philosophies of reefkeeping. If a certain animal is found in pairs, shoals or simply hangout together that is how I try to keep them.
I have 2 yellow wrasse a male and female
3 fireball Angel's 2 females and a male
Pair of common clowns.
Pair of Royal grammas.
7 blue damsels.
Pair of stary blennies.
Nature knows best.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the skunk cleaner shrimp is very social. Or maybe not. If you have some in a big tank they will stick together but You will not see any social behavour except when they are mating. I had 5 in my 10 foot tank and at first they had 1 cleaner station but after a few months they split up i 2 (3 + 2). I alvays try to sell 2 or more because they seem to do better in company. Maybe they have to get rid of some excess nutrition that they normally do with their eggs.

With the camel shrimp it is different. With them it is easy to see how they check where the nearest are and avoid to get overrun or being left alone. I think they should be at least 5 in a tank.

The Sexy shrimps seem to change their behavour during the day. I have 5 in my 12 gallon. During the day they are spread all over the tank but near feeding time when the light goes out often 2 or 3 sit together on a mushroom.
The only fish in that tank is Trimmas so they dont have to watch up for potentially dangerous fishes.
I think they also should be at least 5.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp and probably most if not all Lysmata sp shrimps are monogamous hermaphrodites. If a group is kept together the dominate two will gradually kill off the others. Aditionally what I suspect but haven't found any research yet, is when a mate is lost it takes time for the surviving one to acept a new mate. At least what I've learned over the years is if a mate is lost adding a new one too soon likely results in it's death.

Back