Shrinking bta tenticles

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk what’s going on but it won’t reach out and or bubble up tank is well acclimated and perimeters are great lighting is average

OP
OP
Somuchflo99

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32808245-7652-4C9C-9046-DBF3FBADB587.jpeg
D6E462C6-9D24-4D28-A391-F26C3E70F34A.jpeg
BF7EF0C6-C20B-4E1C-AB36-E3B0901600DA.jpeg

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk what’s going on but it won’t reach out and or bubble up tank is well acclimated and perimeters are great lighting is average

Can we get some specifics please. Actual parameters as well as details about the light.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more details!!!!!! What light? How long has it been in the tank? What are your exact parameters? I keep an anemone tank but can't tell you what's going out without the details.

Could be nothing could be something...

OP
OP
Somuchflo99

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil a80 light 20 gal tank
Sal. 1.025
Temp.78
No2 0.0
NH30.0
Nem has been in tank for about 3 months
Also he has been moving around quite a bit lately but hasn’t move from location in pic for about a week now

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it's possible the anemone still trying to get used to your tank and lighting. How is the anemone looking now? Still the same? They shrink like this when they are pooping. If the anemone is hiding a lot then the light is too much for the anemone. I have an anemone tank and mine will look/do the same thing yours is currently. With your parameters looking good I wouldn't worry too much unless this goes on for a few days or more.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably start in two places:

1. Your husbandry practices don't seem to be doing much to control your nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Your nitrate is already 30 and I'm assuming has slowly been climbing. This tells me your export methods are not sufficient for your input methods.

2. 20 long or 20 tall? And how far below the light fixture itself is the nem? How much of that distance is water? What intensity do you run your A80 at (I have Kessils but not an A80, I'm assuming intensity is adjustable on them as well?)

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently par tested the A80 and the results were pretty disappointing to say the least.
Just throwing it out there, the light may be lacking.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your husbandry practices don't seem to be doing much to control your nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Your nitrate is already 30 and I'm assuming has slowly been climbing. This tells me your export methods are not sufficient for your input methods.

I think they meant NH3 0.0, as in Ammonia is 0

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they meant NH3 0.0, as in Ammonia is 0

Fail, thank you. I "dsylexiaed" the crap out of that.

I would say the point remains the same though. Testing for nutrient levels should definitely be on the docket here.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Somuchflo99

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do a 10 percent water change every sat and top off every day also the nem has been hiding a lot right now he/she is about 12 inches from the actual light fuxture he has literally done laps around the tank but now he hasn’t moved in days I fed him small Marcel’s of brine shrimp yesterday during feeding his tentacles are still sticky and he actually ate so I think he’s turning around also still has plenty of color

OP
OP
Somuchflo99

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at some points the light actually may be too intense because for a couple hours during the day he is closed

OP
OP
Somuchflo99

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else in the tank absolutely loves the lighting and water and are growing at an astonishing rate I’m confused

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the FTS it help a lot in situations like this.

So from going on Kessil's website and researching that light along with watching their video about it's intended placement in the market, I would venture to guess the legitimate only spot in your tank that Nem might be happy is right up at the very top where it has finally found it's way to.

I don't see anything other then LPS in your tank, which is what the A80 is designed for and they are typically happy in lower light. Sadly Nems while they look everything like a softie have much more of an SPS requirement for light intensities.

The good news is it looks like it has found a spot in the rockwork where it feels it can keep it's foot protected and stretch out from beyond the rock into the light. This is key in keeping BTA's happy.

Now that it has stopped moving around, the only thing you can do is wait and see. They will oftentimes move themselves into a lighting situation which is ideal for them, even if it isn;t ideal for them at that very moment.

Any chance you can give him another week and see if he starts looking better? Obviously report back if something looks terribly off, but I don;t see any evidence from everything you have said/shown us that would indicate it might be time for you to start chasing that rabbit down that fox hole just yet.

He's finally in a good spot, let him be, monitor him frequently and feed him infrequently.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back