Shy Fish

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish I have is agorophobic.... that or they just don't want to be out in the middle of the tank. The tank is a 5' Deep Sea Aquatics 185 gallon.

Here's the cast: Foxface... keeps to it's self... usually picking at rocks (what's paid to do). Two clowns who insist on hanging in the top corner of the tank.... I could have had a 10 gallon tank for those two, they keep playing Jaws (trying to get the dorsal to break the water), the most personable of the lot is the Diamond Goby that has built a fort in the front center of the tank under a rock that was pretty much staged for the purpose. Although he's got stagefright and hides when someone comes to watch him dig.

Any suggestions on an open water fish or two... Others on my wish list are a Orchid Dottyback (another hide and seek fish), a tang probably a blue hippo tang. Beyond that, I'm at a loss. Ideas?

joesfiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs are swimmers as with angels too but some of them are know to pick at corals and clams

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want another shy fish dont buy a hippo. Ive got a naso and a sail fin that I can hand feed. Try getting a schooling fish most of the time it will bring the others out.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful adding pseudochromis/dottybacks to your tank. They, as a rule, are very territorial and likely will end up being a problem. Do your clowns have something in which to host, i.e., an anemone, torch coral, frogspawn, really anything. I have a clown whose home is a clam (yes, the clam is alive). If they are recent introductions, I'm sure they will find a home soon and move to it. An anemone is not necessary and probably not a good choice if the tank is rather new, i.e., less than a year old.

There is a ton of fish that can be housed in 180 gal. including tangs. You'll just have to decide what appeals to you.

Your post suggests that there is concern about fish hiding all of the time. Do they have plenty of places to hide so they can feel secure? Is your tank in a high-traffic area, causing the fish to be constantly alert for what will next come rushing by and, thus, aren't able to relax?

It sounds like you only have four fish and two of them, the foxface and diamond goby, are behaving normally, so I'm not seeing a problem. The clownfish will sort things out eventually.

Fairy wrasses would be a good option, as would cardinal fish. Most with tanks your size can't wait to add a tang or two. Hard to suggest because everyone has different tastes.

Gary

OP
OP
gnoles

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the crash.... I sound like a stockbroker.

I had a six line that was the devil, drove my orchid into hiding. We won't be getting any more sixlines. The only thing that it didn't mess with was the flame angel. I miss the flame, but now that I have some SPS in the tank, I don't see it or a clown goby returning to the new tank.

The old tank was about 2 years old when I moved everything but the sand to the new tank. Everything is kind of freake out because the 100 to 150 pounds of live rock takes up so much less space in this one.

I've checked at night and they all have sleeping spots scoped out, I'm just working on getting a touch more movement in the tank. The tank has a little traffic, but I wouldn't call it high traffic.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back