Sicce 3.0 making micro bubbles!!!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my 35g cube, and I cannot get these micro bubbles to go away. I know it's the pump, because I can see the bubbles in the clear hose connecting the pump to the PVC.

At first I thought it was the skimmer over flowing, so I turned it off. Bubbles still there. Then I thought it could be the water splashing into the return chamber, so I put a piece of mesh filter in there. Still making bubbles. Then i thought it was the return plumbing, add its old and used, so i replaced all of the PVC on the return under the tank. Still making bubbles. Swapped out the lok-line thinking maybe it was sucking in air. Still making bubbles. Then I thought, maybe this pump can't get enough water, so I took off the regulator on the inlet, still making bubbles. That's when I saw that the pump was still putting out micro bubbles even auth a wide open inlet.

I'm at a loss, and I'm about to chalk it up to Sicce pumps just suck. Anyone know how to fix this?
20171019_222539.jpg
20171019_200409.jpg
20171019_124434.jpg
20171019_200447.jpg
20171019_201111.jpg

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow isnt keeping up so your water isnt deep enough. Mine does the same thing when it gets that low. Have you tried adding more water?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level is 9" in the return section and 4" over the top of the pump. There are no bubbles in the return section. Video is before I added the mesh filter pad. Pump is still doing the same thing.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when first turned on, you can hear the pump cavitate really bad and it spits out more micro bubbles than normal. This is with the sump completly full of water.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video you posted it’s sucking air from the surface. I could be wrong but looks like more water is needed in the return area while the pump is on. If you can’t add more water then maybe the pump is too strong for the return area

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve in your return plumbing to throttle back the flow?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video you posted it’s sucking air from the surface. I could be wrong but looks like more water is needed in the return area while the pump is on. If you can’t add more water then maybe the pump is too strong for the return area

Sigh... I guess I need to make a new video and upload that to YouTube. There's 4" of water over the pump now. The pump is not pulling air in. It is cavitating and making thousands of micro bubbles all on is own.

Do you have a gate valve in your return plumbing to throttle back the flow?

Umm, look at the pictures? It is throttled to match the return flow in full siphon so it doesn't draw air.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back