Sick Anemone

candim26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
I decided to add 2 anemone’s for my clownfish to hopefully host and 1 is doing excellent but the other is very unhappy and not acclimating well at all! The bubble tip I am very concerned with has wedged itself in a rock. I assume to get out of the flow and light. I moved the rock to face the glass so that I can keep a close eye and I moved the wave maker over in hopes I can settle this poor critter down. This morning looked pretty good but 9 hours later looks bad. I’m confident this anemone wouldn’t have made it much longer. I had to act fast! No pics of an hour ago but Nem was deflated quite a bit and a long tentacle was hanging out. I went to work immediately and now mouth is more closed and color believe it or not looks better. No longer oozing either. Is there anything else I can do to try and save Nem?

IMG_5261.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you have 2 choices with sick nems. Let them be and hope they are not really sick but just unhappy. Take them out and QT and treat with cipro.

OP
OP
C

candim26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update! ….. NEM is looking 90% better! Being so new and unfamiliar was the new home, heavy flow and bad light caused too much stress. Looking so much better tonight. I’m thrilled! I’m going to continue to monitor but leave this guy critter alone to quietly acclimate. My poor tank looks terrible because I had to take some rocks apart but well worth it if it helps.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update! ….. NEM is looking 90% better! Being so new and unfamiliar was the new home, heavy flow and bad light caused too much stress. Looking so much better tonight. I’m thrilled! I’m going to continue to monitor but leave this guy critter alone to quietly acclimate. My poor tank looks terrible because I had to take some rocks apart but well worth it if it helps.
Glad to hear! Yes, anemones will definitely hide and look like that when first added to the tank. In fact, on random days at random times it could look horrible. Nothing to stress about unless you know that there is a problem. Nems do what they want! Sometimes they are a bit cranky!

OP
OP
C

candim26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear! Yes, anemones will definitely hide and look like that when first added to the tank. In fact, on random days at random times it could look horrible. Nothing to stress about unless you know that there is a problem. Nems do what they want! Sometimes they are a bit cranky!
I really wanted to take a picture but apparently this crabby NEM is camera shy too. I got close to take a pic and grumpy pulled up tentacles so I better just back off for now. Obviously this NEM needs alone time until settled. How can they see without eyes or do they have eyes?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted to take a picture but apparently this crabby NEM is camera shy too. I got close to take a pic and grumpy pulled up tentacles so I better just back off for now. Obviously this NEM needs alone time until settled. How can they see without eyes or do they have eyes?
Nope, they don't have eyes or ears. Probably just a coincidence. :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back