Sick Clownfish - Lymphocystis?

mxc110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I am new to the reefing hobby. I recently set up an 80 gallon tank and added my first fish (clownfsh).

Unfortunately, about a week ago one of the clownfish developed a large, white growth on the mouth. He also stopped eating around the same time - probably due to discomfort from the growth. I called the store and they said it was probably lymphocystis. They also suggested netting it and trying to scrape the growth off. But unfortunately he is a good hider and didn't come out of his cave for the next three days after seeing the net - and I don't want to stress him more.

What do you all think? Do you agree with the lymphocystis diagnosis? And any other suggestions?

We are concerned that he isn't eating - it has been almost a week now. Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_2273.jpg IMG_2272.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mxc110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I am new to the reefing hobby. I recently set up an 80 gallon tank and added my first fish (clownfsh).

Unfortunately, about a week ago one of the clownfish developed a large, white growth on the mouth. He also stopped eating around the same time - probably due to discomfort from the growth. I called the store and they said it was probably lymphocystis. They also suggested netting it and trying to scrape the growth off. But unfortunately he is a good hider and didn't come out of his cave for the next three days after seeing the net - and I don't want to stress him more.

What do you all think? Do you agree with the lymphocystis diagnosis? And any other suggestions?

We are concerned that he isn't eating - it has been almost a week now. Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_2273.jpg IMG_2272.jpg
Update: I reached out to the store again, and they informed me that there was an outbreak of lymphocystis in their batch of black clownfish. So that's definitely what it is. Hopefully he will pull through and start eating again soon.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I reached out to the store again, and they informed me that there was an outbreak of lymphocystis in their batch of black clownfish. So that's definitely what it is. Hopefully he will pull through and start eating again soon.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, that does seem to be Lymphocystis. Not super common with clownfish, but it does happen. Normally, no treatment is done because it is a viral disease and the fish have to get over it on their own. The only complication is, as you’ve seen, if the lesion grows on the fish’s mouth and keeps it from feeding. Lympho can take 8 weeks or more to go away, and your fish can’t go that long without food. Removing the growth is tricky, and will damage the tissue making the fish still not feel like eating - but it really is the only thing to try.
Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back