Sick clownfish?

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two clowns some days ago and I've noticed some redness at the gills on both of them. There is also a white spot on the smaller one. Can someone tell me if this looks normal based on these pictures?
IMG_5264.jpeg
IMG_5263.jpeg
IMG_5262.jpeg
IMG_5266.jpeg

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could be ammonia or ich, what’s your water parameters? Any ammonia?
I've stopped testing ammonia because I think my test kit was bad. I was also told I didn't need to test for ammonia because the cycle was completed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stopped testing ammonia because I think my test kit was bad. I was also told I didn't need to test for ammonia because the cycle was completed.

It could be cycled, but no way to tell unless you test it, or can infer that it is low based on how long ago the tank was established. So - if the tank has been set up with some animals in it for 12 weeks or more, there is likely no ammonia. If the tank has only had these fish in it for a few weeks, ammonia could be an issue.

Are the fish still eating well?
Do you see any fighting/chasing between the two fish?

Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be cycled, but no way to tell unless you test it, or can infer that it is low based on how long ago the tank was established. So - if the tank has been set up with some animals in it for 12 weeks or more, there is likely no ammonia. If the tank has only had these fish in it for a few weeks, ammonia could be an issue.

Are the fish still eating well?
Do you see any fighting/chasing between the two fish?

Jay
I set up the tank 11 weeks ago and I used the Red Sea "reef mature" program to start the cycle. Then after a month I added two hermit crabs and then a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp after another month. The goby looks healthy like it has since the start.

I have seen the goby charging at them one time when they got too close to its burrow.

Otherwise everyone is eating well except the bigger clown who just spits out the pellets, but she is always eating copepods off the glass so I don't think there is an appetite problem (I'm getting some frozen brine shrimp tomorrow though!)

The test now shows somewhere around 0.1-0.2 but I'm not sure I trust the kit.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up the tank 11 weeks ago and I used the Red Sea "reef mature" program to start the cycle. Then after a month I added two hermit crabs and then a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp after another month. The goby looks healthy like it has since the start.

I have seen the goby charging at them one time when they got too close to its burrow.

Otherwise everyone is eating well except the bigger clown who just spits out the pellets, but she is always eating copepods off the glass so I don't think there is an appetite problem (I'm getting some frozen brine shrimp tomorrow though!)

The test now shows somewhere around 0.1-0.2 but I'm not sure I trust the kit.
Good, unlikely to be ammonia. And 0.1 on an ammonia test is very often an issue with the test, I wouldn’t worry about it.
It is not ich.
See if the larger clown will eat the brine shrimp, but I’d get some frozen mysids instead. You may need to chop them up smaller for the fish to eat.
Jay

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, unlikely to be ammonia. And 0.1 on an ammonia test is very often an issue with the test, I wouldn’t worry about it.
It is not ich.
See if the larger clown will eat the brine shrimp, but I’d get some frozen mysids instead. You may need to chop them up smaller for the fish to eat.
Jay
Ok thank you, I was really worried.
My lfs was out of mysis but I'll buy some when they have it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back