Sick fish maybe

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with some kind of disease?

No spots but rapid breathing especially after feeding. Been like this a few days and today powder blue is hiding and naso is showing dark marks around gills and very shy and jumpy.

Blueface angle ribbon eels and box fish don't seem affected..

Tangs and box fish along time and were disease free but house move forced me to combine fish together which hadn't gone through the normal QT!

Just done a 30% water change but think I need meds.

Video below

As a thought could it be ammonia burn as tank there in is new and heavy feeing!

Attachments

• VID-20221108-WA0021.mp4
    23.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would start with water- What is current ammonia and nitrate reading and what test kit are you using ?
Angels breathing looks near normal while Naso is the one with labored breathing. Did not see in video, but are fish ever swimming in front of powerheads?
Loss of appetite suggests gill issue either flukes or velvet. Velvet would look like a powdery dust on bodies and fish even gasping at surface.
Flukes- jerking-darting-yawning effects and los of appetite.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, While the videos are somewhat zoomed out, I dont see any marking of disease. Not to say there arent any, as flukes arent visible anyway. Could be stray voltage. Could also be low O2 in the water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If one fish has symptoms -and another does not - to me that mitigates against a water problem - though many fish can handle different conditions differently. I would wonder - anything new added, or new stressors, etc - in addition to the parameters requested. Are your inverts all ok *they seem to be - which also mitigates against a problem with your water. It looks like flukes or another parasite to me

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there in with a new fish the big blue face. As I said I've had to break my rule and add my fish into another tank which isn't QT

These some river shrimp alive in there

Nothing goes go tge surface or hangs around the pumps so assume enough oxygen in there

I've never had flukes but how would I treat.. I'm in the UK so can't get some meds

Maybe I can fresh water dip the box fish as its, easy to catch although that seems OK but fast breathing after food

I have fritz copper safe to hand.. Will kill the rock and few soft corals but not the fish are more important

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes there in with a new fish the big blue face. As I said I've had to break my rule and add my fish into another tank which isn't QT

These some river shrimp alive in there

Nothing goes go tge surface or hangs around the pumps so assume enough oxygen in there

I've never had flukes but how would I treat.. I'm in the UK so can't get some meds

Maybe I can fresh water dip the box fish as its, easy to catch although that seems OK but fast breathing after food

I have fritz copper safe to hand.. Will kill the rock and few soft corals but not the fish are more important
Praziquantel

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, make sure the tank has good aeration, not just circulation. Then, if the water checks out in other respects, I would dose the tank with praziquantel (safe for invertebrates). However, if this is velvet that won’t help at all. With velvet, fish will start dying in another day or so and copper would be your only real recourse (no inverts of course).
Jay

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update

IMG_20221109_182226.jpg
IMG_20221109_182206.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fat cleaner wrasse - that's pretty rare, so good job with that!

Aeration is great, so not an issue.

The naso's scratch marks, rapid breathing and the posing for the cleaner sure looks like it could be gill flukes. Praziquantel dosed 2x, 8 days apart would be the first start, but many gill fluke species are egg layers and it is tough to break their life cycle, as prazi only affects the adult flukes. Then, eggs in the tank keep hatching out and reinfecting the fish. Some people have had to dose prazi up to 5 times, 8 days apart to break the life cycle. The problem is that bacteria soon grows in tanks that have been dosed with prazi. This bacteria "eats" prazi - the more times you treat, the more bacteria grows. Eventually, prazi is degraded as fast as it is added and the treatment fails.

Hyposalinity (at half salinity, so 15 ppt or 1.012) will work better, but of course, that cannot be done in tanks with invertebrates.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated for flukes 4 days after this all seamed well... I don't think it was flukes I'm thinking its was a water quality issue but I'm pleased to say at the min things seem good

I've got the 3 black ribbon eels feeding but still can't get the huge blueface to eat and fear the worse

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back