Sick fish

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys haven't been on r2r in a while life has been stressful. I'm returning as I really need help as 3 if my fish died this week and I have no clue why but want need to know I'm doing all I can to prevent more from dying. I haven't added any fish other than a feeder guppy just to see what would happen. I had a purple queen dissapear first. Then 3 days later my clownfish died and I've had it for 6 years so I thought well she was old. Today I woke up and my tang was dead....... I haven't lost a fish in a year and now 3 within two weeks. I have a pic of the tang and will post it. I didn't see any signs of disease like heavy breathing but to be honest I wasn't looking for it. If you guys have any advice I need it.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201129_113243.jpg
20201129_113402.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum, it lists other information that is helpful for us to know about your tank.
What fish do you have left? Did you lose any invertebrates? Water chemistry values?
Thanks,
Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jay Hemdal, I responded to this post earlier and it must have not posted. Anyways I didn't experience any more losses and I'm not sure what has caused my tang and clownfish to die. I ended up putting antibiotics into my frozen food just in case as I did not see any evidence of lch or velvet or some other parasites that could be the cause. I do have a question for you if you are able to give me advice. I ended up buying another tang as my last one was my favorite fish. He is in quarantine and is not eating. He was shaking his head so I believe he has it had flukes. I performed a formaldehyde dip on him and I am how treating him with prazipro. He does not seem to have too much interest in my norti or other foods I'm feeding him. If this were your fish what coarse of action would you peruse at this point?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jay Hemdal, I responded to this post earlier and it must have not posted. Anyways I didn't experience any more losses and I'm not sure what has caused my tang and clownfish to die. I ended up putting antibiotics into my frozen food just in case as I did not see any evidence of lch or velvet or some other parasites that could be the cause. I do have a question for you if you are able to give me advice. I ended up buying another tang as my last one was my favorite fish. He is in quarantine and is not eating. He was shaking his head so I believe he has it had flukes. I performed a formaldehyde dip on him and I am how treating him with prazipro. He does not seem to have too much interest in my norti or other foods I'm feeding him. If this were your fish what coarse of action would you peruse at this point?
What size tank is it in and what species of tang? Is it breathing fast or open-mouthed? What are the water quality values for the tank, especially ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is it in and what species of tang? Is it breathing fast or open-mouthed? What are the water quality values for the tank, especially ammonia?

Jay
Currently it's in my quarantine, my display is 125g.
No ammonia nitrates are probobly at 15ish, this quarantine is well established and been running for years with a file fish in it that is keeping it going. The tang is breathing fast, it's a sailfin. No signs of ich or velvet. He was shaking his head but is no longer doing so after the formaldehyde dip and the prazipro

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sailfin has seemed to developed something bacterial and likely associated with water quality, BUT could also be stray voltage or even reaction to carbon use
Anthias is typically a 4-4 year fish, not to say they couldnt live longer. Clown was an old man/ lady and could also be due to age. Was clown and anthias eating/swimming/breathing as normal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently it's in my quarantine, my display is 125g.
No ammonia nitrates are probobly at 15ish, this quarantine is well established and been running for years with a file fish in it that is keeping it going. The tang is breathing fast, it's a sailfin. No signs of ich or velvet. He was shaking his head but is no longer doing so after the formaldehyde dip and the prazipro
Timing could be key here - if it is flukes, the formalin dip and the prazi would have taken care of them. However, it may take a few days for the fish to get its appetite back. That said, sometimes the ONLY symptom of velvet is rapid breathing, you may not see spots at all.

Jay

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, fish really bounced back and is starting to eat. I treated with antibiotics as well maybe that helped. I'm pretty sure the fish had flukes and I'm watching it closely. I don't want to add copper as it caused HLLE in my past tang and I want to avoid that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, fish really bounced back and is starting to eat. I treated with antibiotics as well maybe that helped. I'm pretty sure the fish had flukes and I'm watching it closely. I don't want to add copper as it caused HLLE in my past tang and I want to avoid that.
Remember, copper has never been directly proven to cause HLLE, but the carbon used to remove it has been. Avoiding copper for that reason, if it then leaves the fish open to more deadly diseases, isn’t warranted.
Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back