Sick from fragging corals?

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged a bunch of neon hairy mushroom corals the other night and went to bed feeling sick right afterwards . I’ve been sick the past few days. Has anyone had any experience with this or is this just a coincidence?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out palytoxin, it did happen to few reefers working with tanks and mainly zoas. It can be highly poisonous if it gets to bloodstream or if one inhales fumes from heating LR to clean it.... if its notnimprov9ng or if u feel any pain breathing or other I would get medically checked to be on safe side.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged a bunch of neon hairy mushroom corals the other night and went to bed feeling sick right afterwards . I’ve been sick the past few days. Has anyone had any experience with this or is this just a coincidence?
Im not an expert but, mushs have a toxin, which is not really palytoxin, but what are you describing mght be coincidently a flu, cold, or really palytoxin - did you mess with any zoas as well?
The water column can have different bacterias which can be dangerous as well like mycobacterium.

Keep an eye on this, I don't think this is the best place to give you medical advices right now but, perhaps go to an urgent care to make sure you are ok.

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an expert but, mushs have a toxin, which is not really palytoxin, but what are you describing mght be coincidently a flu, cold, or really palytoxin - did you mess with any zoas as well?
The water column can have different bacterias which can be dangerous as well like mycobacterium.

Keep an eye on this, I don't think this is the best place to give you medical advices right now but, perhaps go to an urgent care to make sure you are ok.
I knew about the palytoxin from the zoas and always wear protective gear when fragging those, but didn’t think it would be as necessary for fragging mushrooms until I read that the hairy mushrooms can potentially kill humans if eaten, but nothing was said about fragging. Not much was said about what kind of toxins they carry. Hoping it’s just a cold, like you said.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back