Sick regal tang

Pebbleofdoom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, this is my first post here so I apologize if I did anything wrong. Anyways I was hoping for some help IDing and treating a regal blue tang. My friend gave to me, he’s a little dude probably 2inchs and was at the bottom of the tang hierarchy in his tank. Which is why he gave it to me when I first got he had a white spot on his side which I thought was just a nip however this morning he broke he covered in white spot I’m not sure if it’s ick of velvet I’ll post a pic below. I have most the fish meds but have held off on using them because I’ve heard regal tang are sensitive too most meds. Thanks in advance for the help

2E41943F-574E-42D9-B40A-72A44613413D.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
It looks like ich to me. There are a couple different things you can do.
Check out these threads and you can choose which route youd like to take

OP
OP
P

Pebbleofdoom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
It looks like ich to me. There are a couple different things you can do.
Check out these threads and you can choose which route youd like to take
I don’t have copper power, i have cupramine But I’m hesitant to use because I’ve read its brutal on fish. I’ve also read that copper can lead to HLLE In tangs Is there a safe way to dose cupramine ?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have copper power, i have cupramine But I’m hesitant to use because I’ve read its brutal on fish. I’ve also read that copper can lead to HLLE In tangs Is there a safe way to dose cupramine ?
It can cause HLLE, so make sure you feed a good diet to help. Best to raise the copper level slowly. Dont follow the directions on that. It should be spread out over a couple days. Luckily ich doesnt kill quickly like velvet does so you do have some time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is a good option. Hard to find at the moment if you don’t already have some on hand.

OP
OP
P

Pebbleofdoom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o
It can cause HLLE, so make sure you feed a good diet to help. Best to raise the copper level slowly. Dont follow the directions on that. It should be spread out over a couple days. Luckily ich doesnt kill quickly like velvet does so you do have some time.
ok would you be able to tell me how many drops of cupramine I should put in over a period of two days ?

OP
OP
P

Pebbleofdoom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is a good option. Hard to find at the moment if you don’t already have some on hand.
Really ??? I was on the humble fish forum and he mentioned blue tangs should not be treated with CP

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he say why? I know wrasses are thought to be sensitive to CP, but tangs appear to tolerate it well - though I only treat when symptoms appear and my hippo never had symptoms.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Some wrasses and hippo tangs for some reason do not do well with CP.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o

ok would you be able to tell me how many drops of cupramine I should put in over a period of two days ?
For Ich you have more time to reach therapeutic range. Getting there in 3-4 days is usually no problem. For velvet 24-48 hours is required.

So first thing to do is calculate the total number of gallons of your tank. Most tanks are not the size they say they are. Lots of online calculators to help you determine your tank's gallon capacity. Make sure to allow for any equipment like HOB, etc.

Then knowing the number of drops for your tank's gallons spread the drops out over 3-4 days. Longer is better. And then further try to do some of the drops in the AM and some in the PM.

This will give the fish a more gentle ramping up of copper. And it will allow you to watch for a copper sensitive fish without doing too much damage.

OP
OP
P

Pebbleofdoom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Ich you have more time to reach therapeutic range. Getting there in 3-4 days is usually no problem. For velvet 24-48 hours is required.

So first thing to do is calculate the total number of gallons of your tank. Most tanks are not the size they say they are. Lots of online calculators to help you determine your tank's gallon capacity. Make sure to allow for any equipment like HOB, etc.

Then knowing the number of drops for your tank's gallons spread the drops out over 3-4 days. Longer is better. And then further try to do some of the drops in the AM and some in the PM.

This will give the fish a more gentle ramping up of copper. And it will allow you to watch for a copper sensitive fish without doing too much damage.
Sound good thank you guys very much

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 105 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back