Sick Sailfin Tang

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this sailfin tang about 6 months and Saturday I noticed it acting odd just staying in one spot and looking at sand. It was eating shrimp on Saturday no food Sunday and seaweed Monday and Tuesday. Went to feed shrimp today and it wouldn't eat and seems very week. I have a quarantine tank but don't want to stress it out even more I put some multivitamins in water hopefully that helps.
Salinity 1.024
Temp 78
Ph 8.3
Alk 11
N03 0
Po4 0
Ca 450
Mg 1350
Any ideas please help if u can
Also when its sailfin opens their is a translucent spot the size of a pea but it's not a hole.

20181212_181110.jpg

OP
OP
F

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just a little faster then normal or compared to my other tangs. I never really saw it poop much.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the translucent spot kinda white-ish, and or is the area around it red? Thinking you may be dealing with a bacterial infection. The most gentle treatment would be a 60-90 minute bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualites. And then into the QT and treat with Kanaplex or Furan2 or Sulfaplex, or NFG (preferred).

OP
OP
F

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot is just lighter then the rest of fish doesn't seem white or have any red around it. It's hard to get the tang to open his fin to get a real good look at it . Don't want to poke it with something just to see it but if its alive tomorrow I'll get some ruby reef .

OP
OP
F

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you put it in the main aquarium or take the fish out and give it a bath with it.

OP
OP
F

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only treatment I have right now is cupramine and if u think it will help I will put the fish in QT and use it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you put it in the main aquarium or take the fish out and give it a bath with it.
While the manufacturer of RRR claims it is "reef safe" I'd caution its use in the display tank. Works really well in a 60-90 minute bath. Use tank water, aerate and temperature match.

OP
OP
F

FRANK GRAZIANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll get some tomorrow I don't want to kill a fish haven't yet this is a sad day for me.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks good. May have to wait it out and see what’s really going on. Hard to know right now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back