Sick snowflake eel

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1F9FAEE4-C5D4-48D6-A81E-FD6D232C3EE4.jpeg 6E357FA7-D661-4371-8289-F47C3D41E881.jpeg 4521BE7E-EEB3-4F13-B3B0-40841E01A3AC.jpeg I’ve had a snowflake eel for a little over a year and for the past couple weeks he has been acting strangely. He spends a lot of time out in the open (he used to always stay under the rocks with just his head exposed) and sometimes lays on his side and twists his body as if he’s in pain. He hasn’t eaten in about a month which is not too concerning to me since he has gone long periods of time without eating before. His diet consists of mainly silversides soaked in selcon and garlic with some krill occasionally. He has survived the tank being wiped out from ich/velvet 3 times without showing any signs of illness, but now I’m getting worried about him. I treated the tank with cupramine/quick cure every time. I think he may be constipated, his abdomen does look a little swollen and he had some kind of white thing hanging out of his anus. (photo attached) Any thoughts on what’s wrong/how to help him? Thanks

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's constipated, you can try feeding him a peeled boiled pea. If he eats it, it can function as a laxative.

Some fish can get anal prolapse, but I've just read about it and have no experience with it.

If it's intestinal parasites and/or worms, he needs to eat something laced with API General Cure.
Most of the time, you mix something like frozen mysis with GC, and bind it all together with Seachem Focus.
1 tablespoon thawed food plus 1 scoop Focus plus 1-2 scoops GC. Mix well, wait 20 min, feed the gooey solid pieces.
Most fish eat it happily and it works to clear parasites, but I've never tried this approach with something like an eel.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's constipated, you can try feeding him a peeled boiled pea. If he eats it, it can function as a laxative.

Some fish can get anal prolapse, but I've just read about it and have no experience with it.

If it's intestinal parasites and/or worms, he needs to eat something laced with API General Cure.
Most of the time, you mix something like frozen mysis with GC, and bind it all together with Seachem Focus.
1 tablespoon thawed food plus 1 scoop Focus plus 1-2 scoops GC. Mix well, wait 20 min, feed the gooey solid pieces.
Most fish eat it happily and it works to clear parasites, but I've never tried this approach with something like an eel.

Thanks, if I can get him eating again I’ll definitely try the GC and try to sneak a pea in a silverside or something...

Charles Washington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1F9FAEE4-C5D4-48D6-A81E-FD6D232C3EE4.jpeg 6E357FA7-D661-4371-8289-F47C3D41E881.jpeg 4521BE7E-EEB3-4F13-B3B0-40841E01A3AC.jpeg I’ve had a snowflake eel for a little over a year and for the past couple weeks he has been acting strangely. He spends a lot of time out in the open (he used to always stay under the rocks with just his head exposed) and sometimes lays on his side and twists his body as if he’s in pain. He hasn’t eaten in about a month which is not too concerning to me since he has gone long periods of time without eating before. His diet consists of mainly silversides soaked in selcon and garlic with some krill occasionally. He has survived the tank being wiped out from ich/velvet 3 times without showing any signs of illness, but now I’m getting worried about him. I treated the tank with cupramine/quick cure every time. I think he may be constipated, his abdomen does look a little swollen and he had some kind of white thing hanging out of his anus. (photo attached) Any thoughts on what’s wrong/how to help him? Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back