sick tang, velvet?

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello i have a sick tang in my QT (I put him here immediately, got him last week) that I think has velvet, I saw a lot of tiny white spots on him two days ago. I immediately started treatment with coppersafe and gradually raised it to 2.0ppm ~2.1ml/gallon, I have about 15.5 gallons of water in this tank. This morning I found him like this, it looks like his skin peeling off, is this brook? I also found a bunch of white stuff at the bottom of the tank, maybe dead skin?

1639065030227.jpeg
1639065044545.jpeg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello i have a sick tang in my QT (I put him here immediately, got him last week) that I think has velvet, I saw a lot of tiny white spots on him two days ago. I immediately started treatment with coppersafe and gradually raised it to 2.0ppm ~2.1ml/gallon, I have about 15.5 gallons of water in this tank. This morning I found him like this, it looks like his skin peeling off, is this brook? I also found a bunch of white stuff at the bottom of the tank, maybe dead skin?

1639065030227.jpeg
1639065044545.jpeg
Shed, sediment, or maybe even ich "eggs"

Id say the tang has ich, and an infection that stemmed from it keep params stable and keep up treatment, maybe even use some Metroplex dosed food

could also be velvet as you said, but its hard to tell without description of other symptoms

I hate to say it, but if the fish isnt eating and is just sitting there heavily breathing all day it is almost definitely moribound...

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shed, sediment, or maybe even ich "eggs"

Id say the tang has ich, and an infection that stemmed from it keep params stable and keep up treatment, maybe even use some Metroplex dosed food

could also be velvet as you said, but its hard to tell without description of other symptoms

I hate to say it, but if the fish isnt eating and is just sitting there heavily breathing all day it is almost definitely moribound...
thanks, he was eating up until last night/this morning
i did a freshwater dip and rally bath, i put him back in the qt, i'm considering adding oxygen to the tank

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen will help yes,
if he is not going into the flow and is eating the disease is likely Ich, medicated foods can help to deal with bacterial issues

if you are good about mixing and monitoring hyposalinty can help
As always be careful to keep QT and DT stuff separate

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen will help yes,
if he is not going into the flow and is eating the disease is likely Ich, medicated foods can help to deal with bacterial issues

if you are good about mixing and monitoring hyposalinty can help
As always be careful to keep QT and DT stuff separate
thanks, unfortunately he just died
1639066970943.jpeg

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome, sorry once again about your fish

also, keep and extra eye for anything in DT just in case, and once you are up to it follow this guide for QT cleaning instructions
there are also two clowns in the qt that seem healthy, i guess they are more resistant to ich, i will wait for the 30 days of copper

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are also two clowns in the qt that seem healthy, i guess they are more resistant to ich, i will wait for the 30 days of copper
Tangs have a thin mucous coating and get ich more easily

Clowns are quite tough but tangs have thin "coats" so ich can attach to them more easily, but still keep copper up, maybe get some medicated food. Sidenote: Kick Ich will kill free swimming ich, but won't kill them once they attach to fish or become eggs

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs have a thin mucous coating and get ich more easily

Clowns are quite tough but tangs have thin "coats" so ich can attach to them more easily, but still keep copper up, maybe get some medicated food. Sidenote: Kick Ich will kill free swimming ich, but won't kill them once they attach to fish or become eggs
i have tried kick ich in a different display tank and it did nothing =/
i am leaving that tank fallow for 76 days, there are only inverts in there right now

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, makes sense
would i be able to quarantine another new tang in this qt since i have copper in there now? or would you not recommend that
wait, you will expose it to ich even if there is copper, allow the copper to run its course, make sure all ich is dead, use full treatment period etc, maybe feed medicated food a for a few days when clowns are added to tank. once clowns are in DT clean QT

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
wait, you will expose it to ich even if there is copper, allow the copper to run its course, make sure all ich is dead, use full treatment period etc, maybe feed medicated food a for a few days when clowns are added to tank. once clowns are in DT clean QT
Ok thanks, would it be ok to leave them in qt for more than 30 days? I need to wait 76 for the DT to fallow

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update, I finally got a hanna copper tester and my copper was 3.49ppm =/ so it's possible the copper killed him
i was dosing based on recommendation of 2.1 ml / gallon, I guess I have less water in the tank than I thought

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for additional info the two clowns in there are still alive and eating, I guess they are very tolerant to copper

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kick Ich will kill free swimming ich, but won't kill them once they attach to fish or become egg
So even Copper won't kill ich when they are attached to fish or eggs is what I have read. Copper works only during free swimming as well.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even Copper won't kill ich when they are attached to fish or eggs is what I have read. Copper works only during free swimming as well.
yes, correct. Kick Ich is the same, but not as effective. It can be used as a little bit of insurance before or while adding fish into DT after fallow, or if there is no QT.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back