Sick Tang

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all noticed this today.

I did recently add 3 new fish. Everyone seems healthy just wondering if this is damage or something more ? Seems very producing
PXL_20221216_062436522.jpg
PXL_20221216_062430966.jpg
PXL_20221216_062431743.jpg

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the spots on the blue hippo, looks like ich to me. my blue hippo has ich at the moment, haven't removed him for treatment, going on 3 months now of him having it and being fine, only showed a few spots about a month ago, as long as he eats and acts fine don't overreact, that'll just stress him out more, if he's not eating try garlic guard. UV also helps keep parasite levels down

OP
OP
epicfatigue

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's unfortunate haha that's on the glass not on the hippo tang I didn't even notice till you said that. He does have a random bump on here and there but not how that photo shows.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large, white protrusions appear more like mucus plugs to me. Much too large to be ich. These need to be observed for changes. If mucus, they could remain for an extended period and water quality will be important for them to cleare up.

However, both fish seem to have either smaller spots, residual scarring, or both. Difficult to determine if what I'm seeing are on the fish or are water spots on the glass. Perhaps you can clean the glass and retake the photos. Depending on what is on the fish, still possible parasites are involved.

Have you ever had ich before and how did you treat it?

What's the history of the new fish? how long have you had them, did you QT, etc?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all noticed this today.

I did recently add 3 new fish. Everyone seems healthy just wondering if this is damage or something more ? Seems very producing
PXL_20221216_062436522.jpg
PXL_20221216_062430966.jpg
PXL_20221216_062431743.jpg
These look like internal worms and may be anchor worm but I do see mucus spores which may stem form a different issue of marine ich which you will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two large white tags are mucus extrusions. Most likely, from a tail strike by the sailfin (they can be feisty). They will heal in almost all cases without treatment.

That said, if you added three fish and didn't quarantine, you'll want to watch the fish VERY carefully for signs of disease: salt size white spots that come and go, rapid breathing, going off feed and scratching.

Jay

OP
OP
epicfatigue

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for you responses overnight. I will monitor this and see if I have any changes.

I added a sailfin Tang, Fire fish, and two small clowns. I didn't QT as when I started I didn't do this. If I had my time again I would. This tang is the aggressor in my tank and I had to put a mirror up for two days to stop him from killing the sailfin. My larger clown also finally hosted a BTA in the middle of the Tangs territory and he is a Son of a $-$+$ he bites even me so I am wondering if he had bit the tang. I will closely monitor all fish. My system runs a very very large UV as well.

OP
OP
epicfatigue

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so little update, everyone seems perfectly fine in the tank. Two spots are still unchanged but have not gotten worse. Will keep monitoring

OP
OP
epicfatigue

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep everyone updated. This has now fully gone on its own no other fish are sick i would say it was damage from another fish. Thank you all for your help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back