Sick Trigger Need Advice

KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a big nice niger trigger that over the past few days has become lethargic and has a loss of appetite. he is always a big swimmer and voracious eater. today i come in and was looking at him and he has no signs of disease/parasites but one of his eyes is milked over. no other visable symptoms. hes just been kinda hanging out on the rock this evening and i need to help him. anyone have any thoughts of what could be wrong and what to do for treatment. i guess i will try to grab him out tonight and put him in a hospital tank and see what everyone here thinks for treatment and see if i can help him. havent run into THIS problem yet so seeking advice :squigglemouth:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long has it been since he ate and is he showing any interest in food? How long have you had him and what was he eating?

OP
OP
KING

KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has been just kinda sitting around and not paying alot of attention to food for a couple days, tonight he grubbed out though. he eats frozen shrimp and silversides everyday. i also put in algae for him and the other triggers a couple times a week, they seem to like it. ive had it about 4 months. its about 7" long, its a good sized healthy fish.

OP
OP
KING

KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a black long spine urchin in the tank (that i want to get rid of), i figure he has either a bacterial infection or maybe caught a spine in the eye. his whole eye is white though, but it doesnt look to be "swollen", just milked over.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So he ate tonight?

OP
OP
KING

KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ate last night, and he doesnt get bullied by anyone. one eye is completely white and dont really know why. still need to figure out how to treat him..

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you include garlic in your food? If not I would suggest soaking the food in garlic oil and then feeding.

OP
OP
KING

KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some flakes i feed with sometimes that have garlic and the seaweed i use has garlic but i dont give them garlic "daily". im looking at him now with the lights still off on the tank and it looks like his eye is fine. not sure how overnight it went from completely white to looking normal. gonna check him out better when the lights come on in a little bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back