Sigh…Dinos again…

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh i thought I was done :downcast-face-with-sweat:. Silica dosed, got a great diatom bloom, got the sand clear and tested samples of sand for a week before scraping and water change. No signs of dinos in any sand whatsoever.

Water change, added some new corals, sand was nice and clean for about a week.

And here they are again rearing their ugly heads again. Lame. Amphidinium as usual.

Parameters have been fine for a long time.
PO4 usually between .06-.1
NO3 usually between 20-40

I’ve just accepted that they come and go in this system and Im just venting. Just dosed silica again. Hopefully this time i get them out for good.
71635340-B725-4151-BC06-138897E65003.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s reasonable to continue dosing silica weekly for now. There’s no harm in dosing silica, unless you have problematic diatoms or sponges.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh i thought I was done :downcast-face-with-sweat:. Silica dosed, got a great diatom bloom, got the sand clear and tested samples of sand for a week before scraping and water change. No signs of dinos in any sand whatsoever.

Water change, added some new corals, sand was nice and clean for about a week.

And here they are again rearing their ugly heads again. Lame. Amphidinium as usual.

Parameters have been fine for a long time.
PO4 usually between .06-.1
NO3 usually between 20-40

I’ve just accepted that they come and go in this system and Im just venting. Just dosed silica again. Hopefully this time i get them out for good.
71635340-B725-4151-BC06-138897E65003.jpeg
that's a bummer, how old is the sand bed and what type was it live or dry? how long has the tank been set up?

well sounds like you know what to expect, I'd say after some unknown amount of time they will stop showing up. good luck!!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great man - I have been fighting them in my new display recently as well, and found a lot of success just turning down the lights.

You have so many softies you probably could crank them down a touch and corals/fish would do fine.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a bummer, how old is the sand bed and what type was it live or dry? how long has the tank been set up?

well sounds like you know what to expect, I'd say after some unknown amount of time they will stop showing up. good luck!!
live sand. Tank is almost a year and a half. First outbreak of dinos was early like more than 8 months ago. Silica dosing has "gotten rid" of it before where I haven't had any for months at a time, and every now and then it just pops up again regardless of the nutrient levels which have been diligently maintained above 0 since the first outbreak. Life with dinos super fun.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back