Sigh... now what?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't win with these fish. First velvet, then internal parasites and now... I have no idea. Several fish look like something is up with their scales. I assumed it was them nipping at each other. One is a bully and figured it would be ok once out of QT.

One fish has something wrong with its head. I can't get a good pic, but here's the best I can do. It look likes his head is sinking in. He's not eating and sitting at the bottom of the tank.

I did just do the final Prazipro dose an hour before this.

IMG_2092.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some PVC 90's for the fish to hide in?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish or @melypr1985 shoukd be able to help out more than me. Best of luck!
Thanks. Had a great time at your swap yesterday BTW. Tried to grab you and introduce myself but looked like you were busy :)

Do you have some PVC 90's for the fish to hide in?
I do. They usually leave each other alone except for when they think they are getting fed. They sleep in a big group too.

"Head sinking in" could be Hexamita aka hole in the head disease, an internal parasite: http://petcha.com/pets/hexamita-fish-hole-in-the-head-disease/

Or possibly just HLLE: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hlle-head-lateral-line-erosion.259916/

I can't say for sure from the photo.
I've been treating them with Prazipro for two weeks and metroplex and focus for the last week. The one that's sick had the white stringy poop a week ago. I will try and get a better picture when I get back home.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Had a great time at your swap yesterday BTW. Tried to grab you and introduce myself but looked like you were busy :)

I do. They usually leave each other alone except for when they think they are getting fed. They sleep in a big group too.

I've been treating them with Prazipro for two weeks and metroplex and focus for the last week. The one that's sick had the white stringy poop a week ago. I will try and get a better picture when I get back home.
Glad to hear man!! Very Sorry we didn't get to meet up. I was running around like crazy all day. Let me know about your swap and I'll see if I can make it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very likely Hexamita then, as white stringy poop is another symptom. Unfortunately, that is one of the more difficult internal parasites to treat but metro is the correct medication. Once prazi is out of the water, you might try dosing metro directly into the water in addition to food soaking.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely Hexamita then, as white stringy poop is another symptom. Unfortunately, that is one of the more difficult internal parasites to treat but metro is the correct medication. Once prazi is out of the water, you might try dosing metro directly into the water in addition to food soaking.
Is it contagious? I also just dosed Prazipro this morning. Should I run carbon and pull it out to start dosing metro sooner?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thought I would ask:) You have @Humblefish and @melypr1985 on the case;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it contagious? I also just dosed Prazipro this morning. Should I run carbon and pull it out to start dosing metro sooner?

Yes, if another fish eats the white stringy poop. For this particular internal parasite, praziquantel is ineffective so I would go straight to metronidazole.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if another fish eats the white stringy poop. For this particular internal parasite, praziquantel is ineffective so I would go straight to metronidazole.

I'm late to the party as usual, but I agree with this ^^^

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to the little guy taking his last breaths. I'll get some pics soon.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so bummed out right now. I thought I was doing everything right :( I've got four more in there though and I really don't want to lose them.

IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some history:

1. Received the fish and began TTM
  2. Day two of TTM noticed spots, determined it was likely velvet and started treatment
  3. Next day, followed @Humblefish guide for treating velvet. (FW bath, Rally bath, and copper for 14 days)
  4. Transferred fish to a new tank with completely separate equipment.
  5. Began Prazipro the same day.
  6. 7 days later, did 50% water change and re-dosed Prazipro
  7. Noticed white stringy poop, started feeding frozen brine mixed with metroplex and focus.
  8. 7 days later (today) I did a 50% water change and re-dosed Prazipro
  9. Noticed the sick fish and found him dead a few hours later.
Currently running carbon to clear out the Prazipro so I can add metroplex.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back