OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how about how often I should be feeding the metro soaked food? I've been doing once a day.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed 2x daily. Feed smaller portions if you need too. You are battling some serious intestinal worms, so pound the little buggers with metro non-stop.
Thanks. Just mixed up some dry food with metro and focus. I'll alternate between the dry and enriched brine.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't win with these fish.
Doesn't sound like you have lost to me. While I sorry you are going through these issues, isn't this exactly why you have them in a QT? You would have lost if you had added them directly into your DT as so many people tend to do.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound like you have lost to me. While I sorry you are going through these issues, isn't this exactly why you have them in a QT? You would have lost if you had added them directly into your DT as so many people tend to do.
It is why I'm using a QT in the first place. It makes me feel better to that end but man is it frustrating to lose a fish after all of this.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone doing alright?
I think so. I think they're getting unhappy with how long they've been in QT. It's been 6 weeks now. A few have scales that appear out of place but I don't know if that's "battle damage" or something worse.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. I think they're getting unhappy with how long they've been in QT. It's been 6 weeks now. A few have scales that appear out of place but I don't know if that's "battle damage" or something worse.

Most likely the confines are causing a little bickering. I'm sure they'll be fine once they get back home. Hang tuff hon! You're doing a good job.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third dose went in yesterday. Haven't seen anymore white stringy poops. Yesterday was the end of two weeks of treatment with metro in their food. One week since adding to the tank too. How long should I keep them in QT?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all dead. I forgot to plug the pump back in after feeding them yesterday. There was no flow in the tank for 12 hours.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby on and off for 25 years. I've never been so utterly negligent. I'm so angry at myself and I feel so terrible for putting those poor fish through that. It took me a year to finally find those fish on top of everything else. Ugh....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all dead. I forgot to plug the pump back in after feeding them yesterday. There was no flow in the tank for 12 hours.
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! :( You've worked so hard on those fish!

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! :( You've worked so hard on those fish!
Thank you. I appreciate your help and support with them. I really thought I had finally upped my game on husbandry.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I appreciate your help and support with them. I really thought I had finally upped my game on husbandry.
I think you have upped your game. You handled this incredibly well. Unfortunately, we are human and make mistakes. Personally, I have found maintaining a DT much easier than a QT. Keeping fish alive and healthy in a QT has been my biggest challenge in this hobby so far. My DT has an Apex, but not my QT. My DT has an established bacteria and larger water mass for better stability. And I'm not adding potentially poisonous chemicals to my DT like I do with my QT.
QT's seem so simple because we strip them down to their basics. I haven't found keeping fish healthy in them simple at all.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweetie You've done such a great job with these fish. You've worked your butt off for them and did everything you could. One little mistake can lead to disaster, but everyone makes mistakes. Try not to beat yourself up. You can't be perfect every time, nobody can.
I think you have upped your game. You handled this incredibly well. Unfortunately, we are human and make mistakes. Personally, I have found maintaining a DT much easier than a QT. Keeping fish alive and healthy in a QT has been my biggest challenge in this hobby so far. My DT has an Apex, but not my QT. My DT has an established bacteria and larger water mass for better stability. And I'm not adding potentially poisonous chemicals to my DT like I do with my QT.
QT's seem so simple because we strip them down to their basics. I haven't found keeping fish healthy in them simple at all.

+1 to this! Very well said.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back