Signs of ich

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, don't panic at this point. If it was velvet ALL of your fish would have it and /or be dead already. Velvet kills VERY fast. I also agree that feeding better foods and bigger variety would help to strengthen the fish and help them fight off sickness/parasites. Look for LRS or Rod's frozen foods. LRS is one of the best foods for your fish short of live foods. You should be able to find it at your local fish store. Big box stores don't carry them though. also get some Selcon or Amino Omega and soak the food in it before feeding.

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, don't panic at this point. If it was velvet ALL of your fish would have it and /or be dead already. Velvet kills VERY fast. I also agree that feeding better foods and bigger variety would help to strengthen the fish and help them fight off sickness/parasites. Look for LRS or Rod's frozen foods. LRS is one of the best foods for your fish short of live foods. You should be able to find it at your local fish store. Big box stores don't carry them though. also get some Selcon or Amino Omega and soak the food in it before feeding.
Thank you

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still very worried, I turned my bedlight on this morning and they perked right up and are active already
think im keeping off the aquarium light off to help with stress today

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone can look at the picture and maybe take a guess
still no real symptoms besides the specks havent seen any scratching. I havent fed yet tho gonna go pick up some LRS first

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I can’t help with the problem, and many of the #reefsquad arnt online yet but we should get someone to help soon for you

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure if it is Ich or not, but if it is then there is no reef safe treatment.

Love the fact you are feeding spirulina with probiotics. I also like the recommendation to feed LRS as they add probiotics to the tank.

I would recommend leaving your lights on their regular schedule. If the fish have been in your system for any length of time they should have adapted to the lighting. Changing the schedule could add more stress than leaving them off. This is typically only recommended for newly received fish or sensitive deep water species.

Water changes aren't going to help with Ich. If anything, extra water changes will add more stress and make any potential problems worse. Do the water changes as you normally do.

If you can feed well, and this is ich, you should be fine as long as you can control stress. Make sure your temperature and salinities are stable. Use high quality food. Watch for aggression. If you can do this, most fish will handle ich without issue. If you see things getting worse then the only choice is to remove them from the tank and treating.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure if it is Ich or not, but if it is then there is no reef safe treatment.

Love the fact you are feeding spirulina with probiotics. I also like the recommendation to feed LRS as they add probiotics to the tank.

I would recommend leaving your lights on their regular schedule. If the fish have been in your system for any length of time they should have adapted to the lighting. Changing the schedule could add more stress than leaving them off. This is typically only recommended for newly received fish or sensitive deep water species.

Water changes aren't going to help with Ich. If anything, extra water changes will add more stress and make any potential problems worse. Do the water changes as you normally do.

If you can feed well, and this is ich, you should be fine as long as you can control stress. Make sure your temperature and salinities are stable. Use high quality food. Watch for aggression. If you can do this, most fish will handle ich without issue. If you see things getting worse then the only choice is to remove them from the tank and treating.

Good luck!
Thank you they are very new (got them Thursday night) so I figured they weren’t use to my lights yet

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you they are very new (got them Thursday night) so I figured they weren’t use to my lights yet
I'd still run the lights as normal. If any fish has ich in your tank you can assume they all will so the goal needs to be to reduce stress to all of the fish.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 angel fish from LA. I noticed a white spot on one of them. We'll in a few days both were getting covered with white spots. Ich, velvet? Don't know. I cranked the temp in the tank up to 84 degrees. Left it there for about 3 days then slowly lowered it one degree a day. I fed the fish reef frenzy and they got well. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the white spots are already starting to disappear i assume it was either a piece of sand like someone said?? or maybe it was stress induced

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First make sure it’s not stress ick, I have had experience with that, and using garlic guard and feeding more helps. Keep your hands out of the tank and lower lights.

So there needs to be a huge clarification on uv. First off 90% of the uv out there are only what they call a class c meaning it cleans water and makes it clear, that’s it. If you want a uv to kill parasites aka ick marine velvet etc bacteria, etc and viruses you need a stage 2 uv and it had to have 185nm bulbs with a longer exposure time. Most of these are about 4 to 6 feet long. The one I have also has ozone capacity, (but that’s only if your super experienced not only can you kill your tank, but your cat dog and your whole family and yourself). Most of the uv at like pet smart zamzows, even most on brs, and larger fish places are level c. Your standard level 2 or stage 2 sometimes cslled stage A like mine with ozone are (skins was 1400. Some other good stage 2 with out ozone are close to 500-600.

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First make sure it’s not stress ick, I have had experience with that, and using garlic guard and feeding more helps. Keep your hands out of the tank and lower lights.

So there needs to be a huge clarification on uv. First off 90% of the uv out there are only what they call a class c meaning it cleans water and makes it clear, that’s it. If you want a uv to kill parasites aka ick marine velvet etc bacteria, etc and viruses you need a stage 2 uv and it had to have 185nm bulbs with a longer exposure time. Most of these are about 4 to 6 feet long. The one I have also has ozone capacity, (but that’s only if your super experienced not only can you kill your tank, but your cat dog and your whole family and yourself). Most of the uv at like pet smart zamzows, even most on brs, and larger fish places are level c. Your standard level 2 or stage 2 sometimes cslled stage A like mine with ozone are (skins was 1400. Some other good stage 2 with out ozone are close to 500-600.
oh wow okay I definitely think it was stress ick because i already lost track of where the speck on his body was; so i assume thats good
also why is an o zone capacity one so dangerous

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow okay I definitely think it was stress ick because i already lost track of where the speck on his body was; so i assume thats good
also why is an o zone capacity one so dangerous

Hello,

Ozone is dangerous because it’s a gas and a lung irritatant that enhances lung exasperation. If you release too much of the gas in your home (if windows doors closed etc even summer time), it can give a normal person a severe asthma attack and or suffocate them do to their brochials swelling and closing up. If one was sleeping etc they may never know. So it’s very effective in a reef tank. You must have the proper equipment and gauges to know exactly how much mixture your releasing into the system. You have to consider your reef tank, plus your entire home etc. so it’s definitely not for the beginning reefers.

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Ozone is dangerous because it’s a gas and a lung irritatant that enhances lung exasperation. If you release too much of the gas in your home (if windows doors closed etc even summer time), it can give a normal person a severe asthma attack and or suffocate them do to their brochials swelling and closing up. If one was sleeping etc they may never know. So it’s very effective in a reef tank. You must have the proper equipment and gauges to know exactly how much mixture your releasing into the system. You have to consider your reef tank, plus your entire home etc. so it’s definitely not for the beginning reefers.
thats really interesting thanks for explaining

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back