Silicon in tank and RODI

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I have read that you dose silicon in your tank and that you have to do it regularly so hopefully you can help.

I recently got may ATI test back and my Silicon is high in my tank and just today I got the RODI test back and that's where it comes from. I have a 4 stage BRS 150 gpd unit and I am unsure what I should do to lower it. 1 sediment, 1 carbon, 2 membranes and mixed bed DI.

Tank
Tank.jpg

RODI
Rodi.jpg

What is the best way to lower it in the tank and also to lower it in my RODI. I am on well water with no filtration before RODI unit.

Thanks

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your DI resin getting close to being depleted? Silica is handled almost entirely by the DI resin, with some companies even marketing a "Silica Buster" that contains more anion resin to adequately handle the silica. How many stages of DI do you run?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 stage and I go through DI very fast. It was not completely depleted at the time of the water test, no.

Specs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fudsey Following I’m also on well water and the well water is pretty hard. Just got an RODI unit and will be installing it this weekend. Then I plan on sending a sample off in the next week or so to see where I stand.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops forgot to mention it's a single stage di.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add another DI stage. It's possible water is channeling through your single stage and that a second stage might help. I'd also take the second RO membrane offline. This actually reduces the rejection rate and gives you higher TDS product water, which can burn up DI resin faster.

Do you know your tap water TDS? Do you know what your TDS reads after your RO membrane(s)? It could be that high CO2 is causing you to go through resin quickly too. A degassing stage where you aerate the water before pumping it through the DI stages might also be of benefit in your case.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap is 45-55 depending on the day, after ro it's 2-3 . Is there an easy way to de-gas?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back