Silicone sealant - how long until its safe to use ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tix0l
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tix0l

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
Location
Sofia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys !

Yesterday I made my first DIY part (media reactor) for my 30g tank and I am quite happy with the result.

There is something that bothers me however, I used "reef safe" silicone sealant to glue the parts, it has been a few hours and the silicone sealant looks dry, however it still smells, and since I am always super cautious when adding stuff which I don't much about to my aquarium, I am still hesitating what to do.

Do you guys think I should first submerge it in freshwater for a few hours, or it is fine as it is now ?
 
Hello guys !

Yesterday I made my first DIY part (media reactor) for my 30g tank and I am quite happy with the result.

There is something that bothers me however, I used "reef safe" silicone sealant to glue the parts, it has been a few hours and the silicone sealant looks dry, however it still smells, and since I am always super cautious when adding stuff which I don't much about to my aquarium, I am still hesitating what to do.

Do you guys think I should first submerge it in freshwater for a few hours, or it is fine as it is now ?
If it still smells it isn't cured. I wouldn't get it wet for 24 hours but after that a quick rinse and you should be good.
 
I have seen guidance suggesting up to three weeks of cure time prior to use.
 
Okay, thanks for the quick answers :) I guess ill leave it as it is for a few weeks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 14.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new