Silicone type and technique?

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys use for silicone when creating a display tank?

Also, I have watched a few videos and read a few articles on the process of putting the tank together and I was curious how you guys have done it? The two ways I have seen are:
1) silicone the side panels to the bottom panel and supporting everything with tape after ensuring everything is in the correct spot
2) "toothpick method" - have 90 degree corner holders and space the pieces of glass a toothpick apart from each other, and then fill that gap with silicone and let it dry before removing the corner supports.

I have only seen one video of the "toothpick method" but it actually looked like the easier route. The only thing I was questioning in it is when you attach the bottom panel to all of the sides? Would you do everything at once, or would you silicone all the sides together, let it dry, the add the bottom?

I also have read a few things about people taping near the silicon so that they can peel any unwanted silicone off to give it a cleaner, straighter edge. I would assume that this would have to be done will the silicone is still wet?

Feel free to add any other methods, tips, tricks, opinions, etc. to this list! This will be my first go around, so I would love to hear everyone's input. Thanks!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ASI. It's available on Amazon if you are only buying a tube or two.

I use tape. Have for 30 years. I have never built a tank that leaked. Now, I have had people cause a couple to leak that I built but that is a different story all together. ;)

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know

If I had the experience of building 100 glass sumps

I would probably not have the confidence in my expertise to build a display tank(especially if I had to ask an online forum for as to what silicone to use)

But then, My first true reef tank was a commercial professionally made glass 140G. That cracked. So I am naturally more cautious or pessimistic.

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know

If I had the experience of building 100 glass sumps

I would probably not have the confidence in my expertise to build a display tank(especially if I had to ask an online forum for as to what silicone to use)

But then, My first true reef tank was a commercial professionally made glass 140G. That cracked. So I am naturally more cautious or pessimistic.
Not the type of opinion I was looking for - should've clarified that I was looking for opinions on what preference they have when it comes to silicone and technique used.

Thanks for the knowledgeable comment though! I am glad there are people like you to keep people who would like to try new things in check.

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ASI. It's available on Amazon if you are only buying a tube or two.

I use tape. Have for 30 years. I have never built a tank that leaked. Now, I have had people cause a couple to leak that I built but that is a different story all together. ;)
Can I shoot you a message with a couple questions?

Hölpötti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I shoot you a message with a couple questions?
Adjust glasses with corner holders the way that there is that approx 1mm gap between each glass. Bottom glass goes inside side glasses.
Now fill that gap with silicone.
Use tape If you want, BUT the easiest way to have perfect seams is using spraybottle that has soapwater inside and icecream stick. Typically tape will just mess things up.
After the silicone is extruded on place, spray soap water ovet the seam and use icecream stick to carve extra silicone off. The soapwater will prevent silicone to stick on side glasses while you take it off. Then just tenderly smooth the seam if needed.
Only important thing is that you need to use eneugh silicone to make sure that soapwater cant go to places where final seam will be to ruin the grip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back