Simple DIY Fish (and Coral) Food

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With recent posts about DIY fish food, I thought I'd post my experiences.

In the past, our local fish club would make food at one of our monthly meetings, or a group of us (8 - 12 folks), would get together and make up a batch and split it. For the most part, we followed Eric Borneman's recipe. You can see that recipe HERE. This isn't rocket science, and we would change this recipe up, dependent on availability of what we would find/purchase.

Recently I've been doing my own thing, and have greatly simplified the recipe so that it could be made quickly and without having to aquire multiple items. The fish still love this stuff! I simply use a one pound bag of frozen Seafood Mix (purchased from a local oriental market), a white fish or two, and a couple sheets of nori....that's it.

The seafood mix I purchased most recently is shown below and contains blanched squid strips and tentacles, blanched octopus slices, blanched peeled shrimps, cooked mussel meat, cooked crab stick slice (all wild caught). Most recently, this bag of goodies cost $3.69.

DIY Fish Food 01.jpg

Here's the bag dumped out on the cutting board:

DIY Fish Food 02.jpg

I also include a white fish. In this batch I'm using two disgustingly small flounder fillets that came from Sam's club. I don't know how they could sell such small fillets. I know if I were to take some of these fillets on my fishing trip, and got inspected, I'd be fined. We have a 14 inch limit on fish, and these little things came from a much smaller fish. Anyway, here are the two fillets.

DIY Fish Food 03.jpg

So what I do is to first rough Julienne chop the frozen seafood mix and then pulse this in a food processor. I originally used a big (normal) food processor, but ruined it (wife not happy), so I now use a small one with small multiple batches.

DIY Fish Food 04.jpg

Similarly, the flounder is cut up and chopped up in the food processor.

Finally, I take three or four (or five) sheets of nori and use sissors to first cut into thin strips (about a 1/4 inch wide) and then turn 90 degrees and cut into small squares.

DIY Fish Food 05.jpg

Everything is put into a pot and mixed.

DIY Fish Food 06.jpg

and then put into a one gallon freezer bag, flatten, and put into the freezer.

DIY Fish Food 07.jpg

Once frozen, I'll cut cubes about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inches wide. When ready to feed, I thaw one or two of these cubes in a cup of tank water and feed the fish (and coral). There are a fair amount of "fines", so the corals get to eat too.

It's not the fancy mix like Eric's, but the fish still love it. Obviously, you can modify to fit your needs and fish's dietary needs.

Also note that my fish don't get this food everyday....I mix it up with mysis, black worms, flake food, and whatever else I find in the food draw.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the write up.:)

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try and make my own batch in a couple weeks. Do you soak it in RO water to try and leach out any preservatives?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Just chopped up and put into the mini food processor. If there are food preservatives, I'm ignorant to them.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul do you have any Polish recipes with out the mini food processor;Bookworm j/k:D
Great write up my friend;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul do you have any Polish recipes with out the mini food processor;Bookworm j/k:D.....

I guess I could try something......maybe pierogies, kielbasa and fried onions......but I'm not sure if they'd like it considering I don't have any Polish fish! :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering. Any reason why most of your seafood is cooked or blanched?

At this oriental market, that's the only way their mixed bags are sold. I'll be making a trip to H Mart, a larger oriental market, in a couple weeks and check to see what they have.

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this oriental market, that's the only way their mixed bags are sold. I'll be making a trip to H Mart, a larger oriental market, in a couple weeks and check to see what they have.

Why not just go to a super market and buy fresh? Also I would be concerned about the fish being covered in ice after it's removed from the bag. Has it been thawed and re-frozen? Freezer burn? Asian bagged food is notorious for containing preservatives you should at least check.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used that type of stuff for yrs but I ALWAYS pull the fake crab out. Not good stuff. I also then thaw some mysis, brine, and plankton to add to the mix. Also add pellets with zoe and selcon. I just break off chunks and feed as needed. That way all is in one food mix. I use live black worms regularly as well

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the past, our local fish club would make food at one of our monthly meetings, or a group of us (8 - 12 folks), would get together and make up a batch and split it. For the most part, we followed Eric Borneman's recipe. You can see that recipe HERE. This isn't rocket science, and we would change this recipe up, dependent on availability of what we would find/purchase.

Recently I've been doing my own thing, and have greatly simplified the recipe so that it could be made quickly and without having to aquire multiple items. The fish still love this stuff! I simply use a one pound bag of frozen Seafood Mix (purchased from a local oriental market), a white fish or two, and a couple sheets of nori....that's it.

The seafood mix I purchased most recently is shown below and contains blanched squid strips and tentacles, blanched octopus slices, blanched peeled shrimps, cooked mussel meat, cooked crab stick slice (all wild caught). Most recently, this bag of goodies cost $3.69.

DIY Fish Food 01.jpg

DIY Fish Food 02.jpg

I also include a white fish. In this batch I'm using two disgustingly small flounder fillets that came from Sam's club. I don't know how they could sell such small fillets. I know if I were to take some of these fillets on my fishing trip, and got inspected, I'd be fined. We have a 14 inch limit on fish, and these little things came from a much smaller fish. Anyway, here are the two fillets.

DIY Fish Food 03.jpg

So what I do is to first rough Julienne chop the frozen seafood mix and then pulse this in a food processor. I originally used a big (normal) food processor, but ruined it (wife not happy), so I now use a small one with small multiple batches.

DIY Fish Food 04.jpg

Finally, I take three or four (or five) sheets of nori and use sissors to first cut into thin strips (about a 1/4 inch wide) and then turn 90 degrees and cut into small squares.

DIY Fish Food 05.jpg

DIY Fish Food 06.jpg

DIY Fish Food 07.jpg

Once frozen, I'll cut cubes about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inches wide. When ready to feed, I thaw one or two of these cubes in a cup of tank water and feed the fish (and coral). There are a fair amount of "fines", so the corals get to eat too.

It's not the fancy mix like Eric's, but the fish still love it. Obviously, you can modify to fit your needs and fish's dietary needs.

Also note that my fish don't get this food everyday....I mix it up with mysis, black worms, flake food, and whatever else I find in the food draw.
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Very informative and helpful.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm just about out of food! This helps a lot.

Might want to check out my DIY Mollusk Feast HERE.....not so much for the actual recipe, but for the methods.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DIY Fish Food 01.jpg

DIY Fish Food 02.jpg

DIY Fish Food 03.jpg

DIY Fish Food 04.jpg

DIY Fish Food 05.jpg

DIY Fish Food 06.jpg

DIY Fish Food 07.jpg

Thanks for the recipe i'm going to try it myself too,.....

Back