Simplicity 120 DC Pump speed

anthony1017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just installed my first Skimmer, I know it has to break in for a few weeks.

Ive gone thry the instructions from simplicity on the first week of break in. But it doesn’t say what speed should we set the pump to on the controller.

I have it set at max speed, but not sure if that’s correct. I am having micro bubbles in my sump, not sure if that’s normal either.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just stopping by. We’re you able to get an answer or issue resolved? Let us know if not

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test ran my DC240 in fresh water and also had lots of microbubbles. Asked Simplicity about it and they replied that it'll get quieter and bubbles reduced after break-in. *shrug* Hope they're right (I'm not thrilled with the noise level). I also believe I read on their site somewhere that the pumps should ideally run at full speed.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run you skimmer pump at full speed, remove the lid on the skimmer until the skimmer calms down.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test ran my DC240 in fresh water and also had lots of microbubbles. Asked Simplicity about it and they replied that it'll get quieter and bubbles reduced after break-in. *shrug* Hope they're right (I'm not thrilled with the noise level). I also believe I read on their site somewhere that the pumps should ideally run at full speed.
KWolfe, sound is rarely a complaint with our skimmers. We did however have a period of time a few years ago where the 120 and 240 impellers made noise. We redesigned them and it fixed the issue. If somehow you bought a really old product or second hand, this may be the issue. Feel free to contact us for more details if you would like to discuss.

Anthony/OP you might find some more help here:

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity 240 DC that I set up about three weeks ago. It took a while to break in, but my bioload is pretty light. Working like a champ now. These are great skimmers!
At what water depth? I just installed mine, and its bubbling like no other..Like baddd. Sitting at about 8 inches

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same. Took about a week to break in for me. At the end of the week I had to turn the water height adjustment knob to about 4 or 5 o'clock (If you consider the place where the arrows line up as "noon") and have the air flow knob turned a couple of complete turns back from completely closed to have it producing the best skim for my tank. This had the bubbles sitting at the bottom of the collection cup. The next day I had skimmate. Your mileage may vary!

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same. Took about a week to break in for me. At the end of the week I had to turn the water height adjustment knob to about 4 or 5 o'clock (If you consider the place where the arrows line up as "noon") and have the air flow knob turned a couple of complete turns back from completely closed to have it producing the best skim for my tank. This had the bubbles sitting at the bottom of the collection cup. The next day I had skimmate. Your mileage may vary!
Ok ty, i will give it about a week or so to fully break in. As of right now, the amount of microbubbles this thing is letting out into the tank is unreal. Feels like im running a scrubber.
Never had this happen in a skimmer before.
https://youtube.com/shorts/zQihhbKT2f8?feature=share

Last edited:

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity 240 DC that I set up about three weeks ago. It took a while to break in, but my bioload is pretty light. Working like a champ now. These are great skimmers!
Agreed! I have a 320 from them and it’s nearly silent in my sump and runs like a top! Very happy with it in my 210g lps dominated reef… I have a octo in my matching 210g predator and this one pulls just as much at half the price. No issues with micro bubbles after the break in period and I would 100% buy again!

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I have a 320 from them and it’s nearly silent in my sump and runs like a top! Very happy with it in my 210g lps dominated reef… I have a octo in my matching 210g predator and this one pulls just as much at half the price. No issues with micro bubbles after the break in period and I would 100% buy again!

Thank you for the kind words!

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ty, i will give it about a week or so to fully break in. As of right now, the amount of microbubbles this thing is letting out into the tank is unreal. Feels like im running a scrubber.
Never had this happen in a skimmer before.

Where you able to get this resolved? Hard to know if you were the fellow I helped via email around the same time, the one that used Vibrance?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back