Simplicity 240DC Skimmer microbubbles

vinsonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really been struggling to tune my Simplicity 240DC Skimmer after installing a Reefmat 500 in the sump. It worked flawlessly for a couple months, but for whatever reason, has since decided to start generating these microbubbles. I've followed the manual's directions explicitly (sump water height says 7-9 inches, and I've tried it at 7, 8 and 9 inches respectively). No matter what I do though, it continuously dumps microbubbles into the sump. See below video for an example:

The bubbles completely disappear when I turn the skimmer off. Normally, I'd just leave it off, as the Reefmat keeps things very clear as it is. However, I also have a CO2 scrubber attached to the skimmer, so when I turn it off, my Ph drops considerably:

ph.png

Has anyone else run into this and/or know what I might be doing wrong? I've already pulled the skimmer out, cleaned it and put it all back together. As you can see, I've also tried various sponges in between the skimmer and the return pump, but the bubble just pass right through them. I've also removed the CO2 scrubber to see if it might be the cause, but even without it attached the microbubbles kept coming. Any ideas? This is incredibly frustrating, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run multiple Simplicities at my shop and on several client tanks and have never seen them out out bubbles like that I would run it in a bucket of saltwater without the CO2 scrubber to see if it is actually the Reef Mat causing this or just an issue with the skimmer itself. I think if it is the skimmer itself its most likely the water bypassing the cone and flowing directly out the side, could be related to the neck cleaner.

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it? Was the neck cleaner and CO2 scrubber on it before you put the reefmat in?

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost certainly the result of a chemical of some kind on the rollermat that is causing a change to the surface tension of the bubbles. You can likely fix it by removing the contamination. Usually this comes with a skimmer that will overflow as well.

Some carbon would likely do it, other wise follow these instructions.

I would recommend running the skimmer at a slightly slower speed as needed to have the cup fill over the course of 5-6 or more hours. The skimmate may appear clear, but it is likely full of some substance which is causing it to over skim. These are commonly added with a new tank and include: Bacterial supplements, dechlorinators, clarifiers like those included with some sand, red slime treatments like ChemiClean, even some fresh mixed salts will cause a skimmer to go bonkers. Throw away this clear skimmate and keep doing this (like 3-4 times at least) until your skimmer starts to work differently. You will find it will soon need you to increase the speed so it can create any skimmate at all. This is a good sign you have or have nearly removed the product/contamination.

After all of that writing, I just realized I already helped you weeks ago and I was correct,,, removing multiple cups of "clear" skimmate fixed your bubbles.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back