Simplicity 240DC

gadwall72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank in March of 2017. When cycling the tank I had a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer. It worked pretty well, but I got tired of having to constantly adjust the intake due to evaporation. I did not have an ATO nor sump at the time. Once I obtained my sump, I spoke to the owner of my LFS about a suitable internal skimmer for the setup. He suggested the Bubble Magus Curve A5. The price point was within my budget so I purchased the skimmer and placed it in my pump.

Like many others out there I experienced constant overflows for almost 6 weeks. I had to elevate the skimmer in my sump to get half-decent operation. As it finally broke in, I was able to lower it in the sump. A few weeks ago, I disassembled the skimmer and gave it a good cleaning. When I reassembled the skimmer and put it back into the sump I had a terrible case of micro bubbles that I had not seen since putting the skimmer in the sump the first time. 2 weeks passed and it had not settled down. This may not be an issue for some, but I have cleaned the skimmer multiple times over the last year and never had micro bubbles reappear.

I shopped around and read everything I could find on internal skimmers to fit my sump and water volume of 85 gallons or so. There were good and bad reviews of nearly every brand out there. How does one decide which brand/model to buy? I finally settled on the Simplicity 240DC. It is a little overkill for the bio-load currently in my tank, but man this thing went to work within about 2 hours of being in the sump. It has now been in the sump for 2.5 weeks. I have not started to tinker with the adjustments yet, but this thing is pulling some extremely dark skimmate from the tank. It is darker than anything that I every got with the Bubble Magus. So far I am extremely happy with this purchase!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank in March of 2017. When cycling the tank I had a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer. It worked pretty well, but I got tired of having to constantly adjust the intake due to evaporation. I did not have an ATO nor sump at the time. Once I obtained my sump, I spoke to the owner of my LFS about a suitable internal skimmer for the setup. He suggested the Bubble Magus Curve A5. The price point was within my budget so I purchased the skimmer and placed it in my pump.

Like many others out there I experienced constant overflows for almost 6 weeks. I had to elevate the skimmer in my sump to get half-decent operation. As it finally broke in, I was able to lower it in the sump. A few weeks ago, I disassembled the skimmer and gave it a good cleaning. When I reassembled the skimmer and put it back into the sump I had a terrible case of micro bubbles that I had not seen since putting the skimmer in the sump the first time. 2 weeks passed and it had not settled down. This may not be an issue for some, but I have cleaned the skimmer multiple times over the last year and never had micro bubbles reappear.

I shopped around and read everything I could find on internal skimmers to fit my sump and water volume of 85 gallons or so. There were good and bad reviews of nearly every brand out there. How does one decide which brand/model to buy? I finally settled on the Simplicity 240DC. It is a little overkill for the bio-load currently in my tank, but man this thing went to work within about 2 hours of being in the sump. It has now been in the sump for 2.5 weeks. I have not started to tinker with the adjustments yet, but this thing is pulling some extremely dark skimmate from the tank. It is darker than anything that I every got with the Bubble Magus. So far I am extremely happy with this purchase!

Sounds good! I have heard the overflow/height issue a few times. Thanks for sharing what ended up working!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply by reading your experience and deciding for themselves if your story fits theirs. You cannot go by manufactures recommendations, there is no science behind them, there are a few that get pretty close and you can trust their recommendations like Bubble King and Euro Reef of yonder days.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a simplicity DC pump.. the.. *googles* 1600 and it works well so far. the controlability is nice and it's nice and quiet.

fun story, i thought the stock SCA pump had died on me as it wasn't shooting any water up, i went to the LFS and panic bought the simplicity one which also couldnt shoot water up. turns out some macroalgae got in my return jets and needed to be cleaned. so now i have two pumps, yay aquarium issues!

i was considering getting the simplicity skimmer, but they arent on sale anywhere so not sure why i'd get it over the aquamaxx fc-80 $40~ cheaper

Saltybuckeye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had a simplicity and now have a aquamaxx fc 80. Both are very good skimmers. Both are extremely quiet. The only issue I had with the simplicity skimmer was that it had to many adjustments I could make. It seemed like I was tinkering with it to much and just couldn’t get myself to leave it alone. My aquamaxx I adjusted the skimmate level and now leave it alone. Both are well built and work very well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back