Simplicity VS AquaMaxx

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at down(ish)grading my skimmer and can't make up my mind. I'm currently running a bm curve 5 extreme and have finally come to the conclusion that it's just too big for my system. I've decided to use the downgrade as an opportunity to upgrade in the form of a smaller dc skimmer. I've narrowed it down to the aquamaxx dfc-80 or the simplicity 120dc. I'm leaning more towards the dfc-80 myself just because I've heard more about aquamaxx than I have simplicity and durability is my main goal here. What are y'all's thoughts?

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both skimmers you mention. Both are good skimmers but to be honest I preferred the simplicity. Once its broken in and set I never have to mess with it. Clean out the collection cup once a week or so and give it a citric acid bath every 6-10 months.

Which ever one you pick I think you will be happy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both skimmers you mention. Both are good skimmers but to be honest I preferred the simplicity. Once its broken in and set I never have to mess with it. Clean out the collection cup once a week or so and give it a citric acid bath every 6-10 months.

Which ever one you pick I think you will be happy
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Not that the simplicity is better, but a first hand opinion from someone who has experience with both models.

My only concern with the simplicity is longevity. But I see replacement pumps can be had relatively cheap and easy, so that eases my mind on that. Much appreciated

Upvote 0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplicity for the win, I have a 240 DC on my 120 DT, they have great C/S you can call them and they will answer the phone and help, parts are cheap, they have a good warranty.
You can skim dry or wet, the first time I cleaned it I thought wow this has a really small neck and did not realize how much dry skim mate was on the neck, I needed a spatula to clean it off.
If your previous skimmer was not up to snuff the Simplicity skimmer will go to work and you might have to dump the cup every 8 hours. It is like a clean freak in a slob's house, it will not stop until it is clean.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplicity for the win, I have a 240 DC on my 120 DT, they have great C/S you can call them and they will answer the phone and help, parts are cheap, they have a good warranty.
You can skim dry or wet, the first time I cleaned it I thought wow this has a really small neck and did not realize how much dry skim mate was on the neck, I needed a spatula to clean it off.
If your previous skimmer was not up to snuff the Simplicity skimmer will go to work and you might have to dump the cup every 8 hours. It is like a clean freak in a slob's house, it will not stop until it is clean.
That'll do it. I'm sold on simplicity. Really appreciate the responses

Upvote 0

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you need help finding a dealer Shanasman, we are here to help any time along the way :)

(Although preferably not via DM here on R2R but via our website chat, email etc)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you need help finding a dealer Shanasman, we are here to help any time along the way :)

(Although preferably not via DM here on R2R but via our website chat, email etc)
Really appreciate y'all reaching out. Ended up ordering through brs. 120DC, been in the sump since last Friday. I was actually working on tuning it when I got the notification that y'all responded.

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplicity skimmers work great when properly tuned and kept clean. I have three of the 120 models, and one 240 model. Happy with them all.

Upvote 0

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help!

1: With the pump at 100% and the wedge pipe arrow to arrow (wide open) slowly close the air valve.

2: While slowly closing the air valve, keep a close watch on the level of the foam and bubbles in the skimmer body.

3: Make very tiny changes (open and close) until you get the absolute peak height of the bubbles in your skimmer body.

4: Next, very slowly turn the wedge pipe valve (black knob) either direction.

5: When the bubbles start to reach the bottom of the collection cup, stop.

6: Wait 60 seconds and then make minor adjustments to keep the bubbles near the bottom of the collection cup.

7: After 10-15 minutes, you should start to see larger possibly brown bubbles forming at the top of the bubble column / foam head.

8: After 1-2 hours, the bubble column should rise and you should have a foam head that is at or near the top of the collection cup where you will start to collect skimmate.

Upvote 0

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up an Aquamaxx skimmer with an AC pump. Man I forgot how loud these things are. Word of advice to anyone regardless of what brand you choose, do not buy an AC pump skimmer if you spend a lot of time in the same room as the sump.

Upvote 0

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not have a simplicity skimmer, I do have their return pumps. I will say that they have one of the best customer service and support in the industry. If that helps you in any way

Upvote 0

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the simplicity 320dc. I have no complaints with it. What size tank are you putting the 120 on?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help!

1: With the pump at 100% and the wedge pipe arrow to arrow (wide open) slowly close the air valve.

2: While slowly closing the air valve, keep a close watch on the level of the foam and bubbles in the skimmer body.

3: Make very tiny changes (open and close) until you get the absolute peak height of the bubbles in your skimmer body.

4: Next, very slowly turn the wedge pipe valve (black knob) either direction.

5: When the bubbles start to reach the bottom of the collection cup, stop.

6: Wait 60 seconds and then make minor adjustments to keep the bubbles near the bottom of the collection cup.

7: After 10-15 minutes, you should start to see larger possibly brown bubbles forming at the top of the bubble column / foam head.

8: After 1-2 hours, the bubble column should rise and you should have a foam head that is at or near the top of the collection cup where you will start to collect skimmate.
Much appreciated. I think I've got it where I want it now but I'm absolutely going to screenshot that and give it a try when I disassemble for cleaning next time.

Upvote 0

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an Aquamaxx skimmer with an AC pump. Man I forgot how loud these things are. Word of advice to anyone regardless of what brand you choose, do not buy an AC pump skimmer if you spend a lot of time in the same room as the sump.
Hmmm... have you checked it to make sure everything inside the pump is seated properly, and the skimmer isn't touching/vibrating against a sump baffle or anything?

I replaced my dead Tunze 9410 DC skimmer with an Aquamaxx ConeS Q-2 AC skimmer a month ago, and after 2 days of break-in time, the Aquamaxx is actually a touch quieter than the Tunze was.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back