Single 1" Drain flood prevention/plumbing & Return Pump

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SCA 50g cube has a single 1" Drain and a 1/2" return.

Plumbing:
1) Whats the safest approach to ensure a snail does not block the entire thing and cause a flood?
2) I am reading some people use 1" to 1-1/4" adapter and run 1-1/4" PVC. Why? Whats the benefit?

Return pump:
3) How do I size the return pump to ensure I keep the system quiet? Its going to be approx 50gal /w 5ft head. Any recommended pumps?

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the snail, I am assuming since there in only one drain, it has a Durso style overflow. If so, the inlet will face downward. Place a 6" screen on this. If a snail gets on the screen, the impact will be insignificant. i do this on all my setups of they don't come with one already.

The 1-1/4" pipe is larger so lets in more water/air, the suction velocity will be less and results in quieter operations. Again, I use tanks that feature the AGA Durso style plumbing and I do the same on those tanks.

My goal is to always size the pipe so the velocity in the pipe is 3-ft per second. This may seem like overkill in the hobby, but this is what I do for a living. At 3 ft per second, you have a much lower velocity that results in nearly no vibration, quieter operation, more efficient, less head on the pump, etc.

So, what is your target flow for the system? You need to know that before you can even guess what your head will be ;)

This is a great calculator: http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator
Unfortunately it does not have all the new DC pumps on it. But size the system based on a Mag drive pump and then that will give you the pump flow and head. You now know what your head is at your target flow (not pump specific) and from the Mag drive documentation, you will know how to pick what size pump based on what head condition the manufacturer specs the nominal rating. For example, some manufacturers rate their pumps at no head or 0-ft head, others go with 4-ft head or 5-ft head. Just pick the one that matches the selected Mag drive pump.

I do not recommend Mag drive pumps for your main return. They do make great utility pumps, are cheap and as close to indestructible as a hobby pump can get.

I still use external Iwaki pumps, so I can help you on recommending a brand.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't fully understand, but I will take your word for it and run 1-1/4"...
Where can I find a 1-1/4 large strainer?

I am going to be doing SPS so my in-take flow will be 50x turnover. I've always heard 10x turnover for the sump is usually about right? So 600gph?

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3x-5x to my sump. 20x-30x flow with wave makers.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should run 3x to 7x the total system water volume through the sump. You would achieve the 50x volume inside your display by employing circulators.

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my strainers at marine depot. I run a jebao dc return pump. It runs into a manifold. The manifold supplies my refugium, skimmer, reactor, and finally the display

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't fully understand, but I will take your word for it and run 1-1/4"...
Where can I find a 1-1/4 large strainer?

I am going to be doing SPS so my in-take flow will be 50x turnover. I've always heard 10x turnover for the sump is usually about right? So 600gph?

Agree with the others. That 10x turnover is an old rule from when I first started any our only option for tank circulation was maxi-jets and closed loops with 1/2 hp pumps. Today with Vortechs and Streams, you just don't need that anymore. I aim for 5x, the 3x to 7x is a good range too :) More flow through the sump does not hurt, but you are diluting that thin surface water that you really want to capture for the skimmer - its only theoretical though.

A 1-1/4 strainer, I dont remember and would have to do a Google search, my current tank actually came with one so they do exist.

I bought my strainers at marine depot. I run a jebao dc return pump. It runs into a manifold. The manifold supplies my refugium, skimmer, reactor, and finally the display

Yep, did that on my current tank and I love not having all the individual pumps :)

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to use another adapter and upside to 1-1/2 to use any of those...seems a lot more hassle and removal would be difficult to clean.

I guess another option is to create my own using some 1-1/4 pipe with a lot of drilled holes in it?

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 gph will be a challenge. I do not believe it will gravity flow through a 1" pipe without risk. Sure it will work, the drain calculator comes to 1.01", which gives you no room for error. Snail risk is real and you should go with 1.25".

To size your return manifold piping, you will need 1-1/4" to meet the criteria I suggested. Again, I know what the old rules are, but if you plan to provide 60x turnover using powerheads (which is very easy today), than I think 5x is good enough through the sump. This puts you at 300 gph and is very manageable.

At 300 gph, you will need 1" manifold piping for quiet, vibration free and minimum headloss. Using 3/4" pipe for the return manifold would also be very reasonable. Use 3/4" if you don't have a lot of fittings and valves. Use 1" if you plan to have a lot of fittings and valves.

At 300 gph, 1" piping gives you a velocity of 2 ft/s and is more than big enough for your drain line. You don't need the bigger size.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is already drilled for a 1" drain.
So if I aim to find a return pump with 450-500gph rate after 6ft head loss it'll be about right?

So what you are saying is no need to use an adapter to make it 1-1/4" inside the internal overflow? If so that would make it a lot easier as I can grab the 1" screen which seems to be at more online retailer.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my durso drain into a herbie by using my return hole as the main drain and running the return over the side (you could also drill it). Very little noise and you have a full backup.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my durso drain into a herbie by using my return hole as the main drain and running the return over the side (you could also drill it). Very little noise and you have a full backup.

Oh wow why didn't even think of that! I could just drill a new return line on the rear and then i would feel a lot better about everything

Back