Single siphon drain with high level shutoff on pump. Thoughts?

dtruitt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2020
Messages
492
Reaction score
291
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate our durso return so much. Its unconscienably loud and not very safe.

Thinking about installing a gate valve and pulling the durso bit to turn it into a single siphon drainpipe.

If I put a level switch on the DT that kills power to the return pump, I will have a quieter drain system that is safer than my current system.

I'm curious to know, if the level gets high overnight or while I'm at work, will I need to worry about decimating our chaeto and other critters in the fuge?
 
I would not worry so much about the fuge, as I would the main tank with reduced flow , no heat ect...from not having the return pump on.
As you have found out a duriso drain is not silent. It will never be quiet. People have come up with better drains that offer protection against tank overflow. Maybe a herbie can be fitted to your tank?
https://blog.marinedepot.com/education-center/charts-diagrams/durso-herbie-bean-animal-overflow

The MP 40 in the DT should account for flow and gas exchange.

I've thought about doing a Herbie, I doubt its viable to make those plumbing changes for a number of reasons. Very little space to work with in this system... maybe a pseudo Herbie where both drains are teed together. Gate valve on the main drain and leave the dry emergency drain unrestricted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new