Single siphon drain with high level shutoff on pump. Thoughts?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate our durso return so much. Its unconscienably loud and not very safe.

Thinking about installing a gate valve and pulling the durso bit to turn it into a single siphon drainpipe.

If I put a level switch on the DT that kills power to the return pump, I will have a quieter drain system that is safer than my current system.

I'm curious to know, if the level gets high overnight or while I'm at work, will I need to worry about decimating our chaeto and other critters in the fuge?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry so much about the fuge, as I would the main tank with reduced flow , no heat ect...from not having the return pump on.
As you have found out a duriso drain is not silent. It will never be quiet. People have come up with better drains that offer protection against tank overflow. Maybe a herbie can be fitted to your tank?

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry so much about the fuge, as I would the main tank with reduced flow , no heat ect...from not having the return pump on.
As you have found out a duriso drain is not silent. It will never be quiet. People have come up with better drains that offer protection against tank overflow. Maybe a herbie can be fitted to your tank?

The MP 40 in the DT should account for flow and gas exchange.

I've thought about doing a Herbie, I doubt its viable to make those plumbing changes for a number of reasons. Very little space to work with in this system... maybe a pseudo Herbie where both drains are teed together. Gate valve on the main drain and leave the dry emergency drain unrestricted.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back