Siphon Experts Needed

coreytrv

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2023
Messages
228
Reaction score
126
Location
Sacramento
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard plumbing a siphon line from an overflow box that needs to go UP about 3', horizontally about 30', then down to a remote fish room sump in the garage.

1. Will this design work?
2. How can I keep the siphon from breaking?

I'm told that if I drain into an interim tank in the garage (Siphon Weir) , and put it at the same height as the siphon inlet, the water will equalize and prevent the INLET from sucking air and breaking the siphon.

What do you guys think?

The RED line is the siphon line. Goes from overflow box, into Siphon Weir, the two lines on either side of the siphon outlet is a weir cage to keep air from getting in. Height set at same as inlet. The second line from the siphon outlet is another bulkhead that goes to the sump.

All measurements are on there.

siphon line.jpg
 
Hard plumbing a siphon line from an overflow box that needs to go UP about 3', horizontally about 30', then down to a remote fish room sump in the garage.

1. Will this design work?
2. How can I keep the siphon from breaking?

I'm told that if I drain into an interim tank in the garage (Siphon Weir) , and put it at the same height as the siphon inlet, the water will equalize and prevent the INLET from sucking air and breaking the siphon.

What do you guys think?

The RED line is the siphon line. Goes from overflow box, into Siphon Weir, the two lines on either side of the siphon outlet is a weir cage to keep air from getting in. Height set at same as inlet. The second line from the siphon outlet is another bulkhead that goes to the sump.

All measurements are on there.
Here's an updated diagram with more dimensions:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new