SirCrush32's 180 Gallon Build

SirCrush32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day All.

This is my first message and current placeholder to my 180 gallon build thread.

I coming into the hobby as a complete n00b, but I have done years of research and stalking. I didn't get into it soon due to time, and still a bit worried about time.

I haven't decided which setup I want to lean towards just yet. The good thing is I have time.

I got my setup second hand and since I need to clean it and go through everything throughly it will give me an opportunity to make the final decision on which way I want to lean towards.

What I have in my possession currently:

1. 180 gallon (glass) already plumbed
2. Stand (needs some TLC)
3. Protein Skimmer (to dirty to see the brand o_O)
4. Sump
5. Pump
6. Quarantine Tank

Still a lot of things I need to research and purchase so I will be asking a lot of questions on the appropriate threads.

The first thing I will be doing is cleaning all items and testing for functionality and leaks. I plan to strengthen the stand along with priming and sanding along with staining or painting. Stand isn't in bad shape but we all know what happens when wood gets exposed to saltwater.

Again, I know this journey will be long and but yet fulfilling. I am truly excited for this and having a community that will assist and support me during my journey.

OP
OP
S

SirCrush32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a few busy days for me so I'm just getting around to deep cleaning the parts from the tank and then I will clean the tank itself. I will also check seals from pluming on tank and re-seal anything I deem necessary which will end up being everything.

This post will be all words no pictures. Trust me I don't want to bore you with the ugliness.

So after looking over the stand and instead of re-purposing it, I've decided I will clean it up and store it in the basement until I figure out another use or sell it. Yes, that means I will build a custom stand into my wall that I've always wanted to push out and the space behind it will allow me to create my mud room. I haven't decided if I will have the tank at the edge of the wall so you can see it from multiple sides, I will have to do more in depth measurements to ensure I can make that happen. Along with move some the electrical. Although I just may flip it around and make it a dedicated outlet.

Along with with built-in stand, I will start framing and making my fish room in the basement.

Today I was able to go to a coral farm and get my water at my house tested.
Results:
  • Nitrite .1
  • Nitrate .2
So based on the numbers I was able to decide on my RO/DI system.

As far as my equipment, I am still reading and I feel like I will continue to read more and more. I can tell you what I have came up with so far:

• 150 GPD RO/DI System in the Fish Room (2 tanks - 1 for RO/DI other for making saltwater).
  • External pump - in basement next to house pump (will emptying and re-fill DT).
  • Gravity fed ATO system
  • DIY Display Board
  • Protein Skimmer Reef Octopus
  • Sump
  • Couple QT Tanks
I will continue to update the thread as I continue to read and learn and make smart choices on the things I need.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back