Six Line Wrasse Tail Injury

18nsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I've been keeping corals for a couple years now but I'm relatively fresh to saltwater fish. After having two clownfish for about 6 months I decided it was time to get a six line wrasse! It's been in the tank for 5 days now and up until today it seemed to be adjusting perfectly. Today it was hiding much more than usual. It came out at feeding time and I noticed some discoloration and damage to its fin.
In the 55 gallon tank are: the 2 clownfish, 2 small hermits, 1 peppermint shrimp, various corals, and, unfortunately, some significant aptasia. All other tankmates seem to be in good health.
Attached are the best pictures I could manage before my next class, I'll try for better later and post water test results. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this looks like an injury or disease and in either case if there's anything I can do.

Thank you for any advice, happy reefing.

IMG_20221206_132044.jpg IMG_20221206_132002.jpg IMG_20221206_132955.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys! I've been keeping corals for a couple years now but I'm relatively fresh to saltwater fish. After having two clownfish for about 6 months I decided it was time to get a six line wrasse! It's been in the tank for 5 days now and up until today it seemed to be adjusting perfectly. Today it was hiding much more than usual. It came out at feeding time and I noticed some discoloration and damage to its fin.
In the 55 gallon tank are: the 2 clownfish, 2 small hermits, 1 peppermint shrimp, various corals, and, unfortunately, some significant aptasia. All other tankmates seem to be in good health.
Attached are the best pictures I could manage before my next class, I'll try for better later and post water test results. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this looks like an injury or disease and in either case if there's anything I can do.

This may have stemmed from a bite mark but has also developed into a bacterial issue and needs to be treated with broad spectrum antibiotic in a quarantine setting for at least 5 days.
Recommended treatment is either Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with added aeration and focus on water quality during treatment
If a bite mark - clown is suspect and injury can be in rocks they often hide within

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does look like an injury and possible bacterial infection to me as well.

Jay

OP
OP

18nsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have stemmed from a bite mark but has also developed into a bacterial issue and needs to be treated with broad spectrum antibiotic in a quarantine setting for at least 5 days.
Recommended treatment is either Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with added aeration and focus on water quality during treatment
If a bite mark - clown is suspect and injury can be in rocks they often hide within
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does look like an injury and possible bacterial infection to me as well.

Jay
Thank you both, I'll get that ordered and work on getting a quarantine set up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back