Sizing lionfish

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything to worry about getting very young lionfish - say a small enough volitan to be tank mates with captive bred species you can't get large? Do they transport okay and have good survival rates?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you planning to keep with them, a volitan is going to grow really fast. The smallest you are looking to get is likely going to be around 2.5/3", they could easily double that in a year. Feeding, as with all lions can be a challenge, while a volitan will take to dead food easily, a really small one may need to start with live ghosties; as usually with most lions anyway. Transport with all lions seem to be a challenge, your source will have alot to do with it. One mistake many make with a really small volitan is under feeding; once established you'll want to feed their full every other day for the 1st year, until you see a nice bulge in the belly. Many times they will outgrow smaller species that many plan to keep them with, and become a threat. Broad bodied, semi aggressive at the least are they best tank mates. Over time the volitan may not want to put the work into hunting down their tank mates, but can still be a threat if the opportunity presents itself.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I really wanted some yellow tangs and the only ones I can find are miniscule. And I was going to try for a captive bred marine Betta. I don't think any of my other plans are available as captive bred

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred betta's start out really small and grow really slowly, their body shape would be risky. I am not as familar with the growth rate of a yellow tang, but their body shape is safe. It would be a good while before safely adding a volitan with a captive bred betta.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you a bit about captive bred YT..

I have one I got from Biota a couple months ago.. he arrived about the size of a 50 cent piece. Today he has more than doubled in size. I wish I had thought to record actual measurements when I first got him. I was just happy to get him alive and well and wanted to get him into the tank...

Here are a couple of pictures that will give you a general idea...

IMG_0586.JPG

20210725_141630.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture was taken on May 23rd, 2021.. within a day or so of receiving him.

The 2nd picture was taken I believe July 26th, 2021.

Not sure if you can really see the size difference in the pictures, but he has grown considerably in that 2 months.. Perhaps you can start with a baby YT and grow him out some before adding the Volitan?

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you can start with a baby YT and grow him out some before adding the Volitan?

That seems like a good option for them. Just need to find out about the marine Betta

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a good option for them. Just need to find out about the marine Betta

I can't say for the Marine Betta as I have never had one. Sorry..

I can say that today, I would not hesitate to add in a Volitan with the YT. It would take an extremely large one to gulp down the Tang.

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volitan's get big really fast, i bought 3 that were small 3-4 inches. in under a year they were the size of small basket balls you win at amusement parks. I would keep them with a YT if you feed alot. They really dont move much if fed and full. I just hate that they drop the "horns" when they get bigger, atleast all 3 of mine did.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back