Skeleton panda sea squirts

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wile searching for new uncommon organisms to add to my ecosystem, I’ve stumbled to this ones today, at first I thought they would be a kind of hydroids although research point me to skeleton pandas, how magnificent do this organisms look like? I sincerely think you should google them as mines seem to be only starting to develop.

A987690F-FD04-464F-8E40-22DAE7023609.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some debate as to whether or not Skeleton Panda Sea Squirts specifically exist or not (and, if they do exist, what their scientific name would be), as there is speculation that the photos of them on the web were photoshopped, but those appear to be some very nice tunicates either way - I'd guess in the Clavelina genus, possibly Clavelina moluccensis or Clavelina picta, but I'm not certain.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some debate as to whether or not Skeleton Panda Sea Squirts specifically exist or not (and, if they do exist, what their scientific name would be), as there is speculation that the photos of them on the web were photoshopped, but those appear to be some very nice tunicates either way - I'd guess in the Clavelina genus, possibly Clavelina moluccensis or Clavelina picta, but I'm not certain.
Looking at more species of Clavelina it’s correct I think I just stopped wend I saw the spine looking things on the tunicate. Either way they are really cool organisms and the reason I got them, at list they not hydroids as I first tough :)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted what were commonly called “tiger sponges” but are most likely a sea squirt of some kind for my tank. Than @Tidal Gardens has them in a video and they are stunning.
They on my list to, they look crazy wend covering live rock

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted what were commonly called “tiger sponges” but are most likely a sea squirt of some kind for my tank. Than @Tidal Gardens has them in a video and they are stunning.
I haven't seen the video, but I know a few Botrylloides spp. (particularly Botrylloides leachii) and some Botryllus spp. are called Tiger Sponges despite being tunicates. I've also seen the Australian Spider Sponge (Clathria spp. with white parasitic zoanthids) called a Tiger Sponge. The Botrylloides and Botryllus are likely going to be hard to come by because several of their species are invasive. (If I see any, I'll try to remember to post here.)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still have a few strains of Tunicates growing in the greenhouse. They are beautiful, but not that many people were interested in them. We can have our guys start to get some mounted-on plugs again.

Only if I was in the states I would do a field day with all them crazy tunicates, they would of been a great addition to my system :)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had some bad days although it come back to life once I’ve started adding silica and carbohydrates to the system, picture taken last week, it doubled in size also since picking it up from LFS

9A4B11E8-95FA-4490-9E29-47003E13B1BF.jpeg

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had some bad days although it come back to life once I’ve started adding silica and carbohydrates to the system, picture taken last week, it doubled in size also since picking it up from LFS

9A4B11E8-95FA-4490-9E29-47003E13B1BF.jpeg
Awesome. Is this in your automatic phyto system?

Which carbohydrates, sugar?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Is this in your automatic phyto system?

Which carbohydrates, sugar?
Yes it is, the system is doing well with all types of weird stuff, I use carbohydrates from phytoplankton and supplement with reef actif that is just carbohydrates extracted from algae.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still have a few strains of Tunicates growing in the greenhouse. They are beautiful, but not that many people were interested in them. We can have our guys start to get some mounted-on plugs again.

I am looking at this gorgeous tiger sponge. is this a sea squirt? Is this hard to keep? I have a credit from aqua sd and cant find anything I want but this lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at this gorgeous tiger sponge. is this a sea squirt? Is this hard to keep? I have a credit from aqua sd and cant find anything I want but this lol
Yeah, these are actually colonial tunicates (sea squirt is one name for solitary tunicates) - I'll let Tidal Gardens answer the question on difficulty, but I'd imagine it's not very difficult based on the genus its from.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, these are actually colonial tunicates (sea squirt is one name for solitary tunicates) - I'll let Tidal Gardens answer the question on difficulty, but I'd imagine it's not very difficult based on the genus its from.
Somebody bought that beauty right after I posted the name! OMG! How stupid am I? Absolutely gorgeous!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back