Skeletor eel compatibility?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I am preparing to start acquiring fish I decided to make another attempt at finding a good LFS. I had really bad luck in the past but it paid off and I think I found one I want to frequent even though it is quite far.

I just wanted to double check something that came up during a conversation. Nobody can be correct all the time during casual conversation so I am not wanting to throw mud on the guy as he seemed very knowledgeable - certainly moreso than I am.

Anyways, I was discussing ordering lionfish and eels and he mentioned he wouldn't recommend the Skeletor eel with the stocking I had planned. He suggested that it would be likely to eat the Snowflake I want and also other fish. I am hoping he was confusing the Skeletor with another eel and it would be worth the shot as I really like the idea of a Snowflake, Skeletor and Lion fish combo plus the other large appropriately sized fish.

Anyone able to weigh in with some experience? Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime I have found the skelator to be rather mild mannered and a good community eel. These are the points to be aware of: tank size, introducton size, size compatibility. These are the variables many don't consider.

An eel also does better in the introduction into the dt after being acclimated in an observation tank. This acclimation is to get the eel accustomed to captive living. Preparing them to eat dead food form tongs or whatever method you use on a schedule. A wild specimem right from the ocean will be be morr aggressive.

Size, the skelator almost always comes in larger than most snowflakes, you will not want him to be larger. This is another point people forget to mention, any substantial size difference will cause a problem. I would try and get one closer to 12", once they reach anout 18" it will get riskier. If you have a small snowflake then even more so.

Fang tooth eels are a absolute no go withs lions. Acclimated pebble tooth eels usually do just fine. For 2 pebble toith rwls and lionfish I would recommend a minimum tank size of 90g. I say 90g vs 75g for the added height.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size, the skelator almost always comes in larger than most snowflakes, you will not want him to be larger. This is another point people forget to mention, any substantial size difference will cause a problem. I would try and get one closer to 12", once they reach anout 18" it will get riskier. If you have a small snowflake then even more so.

If I had to choose on sizing, would it be better for the Skeletor eel to be smaller than the Snowflake? Or is the idea that equal size is the right size and the only size?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smaller skelator would be better, as the snowfllake unless a very large size difference, would likely not cause a problem. Sizing predators is always a delicate matter, you really just never know. I've made my mistakes and I have also been surprised. A few months ago I added a zebra and antennata to my venom tank, which already had a fuzzy and a radiata, fuzzies can be real buttheads. I had to move them from the observation because of a rescue situation, the zebra really hadn't grown large enough. The fuzzy could care lesss and all is well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back