Skimmate smell, different tanks, different brands of skimmer

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why my buddies skimmate will stink up the entire house when draining the cup from his bubble magus and my reef octopus you almost have to stick your nose into the cup to smell it? Color and consistency is almost identical. The only difference I can think of is that I feed and use ab+ every other day and he feeds and doses daily. Is it just more concentrated regardless of color?

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a million things... bioload, the flow rate in your sump, flow rate in your skimmer section, the water level in your skimmer section, the water level inside your skimmer, air intake, etc. If it's pulling out skimmate and your nutrients are in check just don't think about it.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has different sense of smell is probably the major variable we are forgetting. Just like vision everyone does not have the same levels of smell .

I am guessing those that complain of a skimmer smelling up the entire house either have a small house or a heightened sense of smell.

Would be a superpower I would not want to have . I have sub par smelling ability and thus skimmer smell has never bothered me when I clean it out and I can visually see the nasty in the collection cup

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the slower you have your skimmer skimming, say you empty it once every 4+ days the more it smells. If I skim quicker on occasion say emptying it ever day or 2 it barely smells. Just my observation.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that’s funny. I actually just got a bubble magus qq1 hob about a week ago. It broke in within a couple days. My cup is about 1/3rd full with pretty dark skimate so I decided to give it the sniff test.

i lifted the lid and was expecting that rotten smell I got when I forgot to clean out a diy algae reactor/scrubber that I took down. But as you said I had to stick my nose right in it to smell anything and it wasn’t that bad. Kinda that foamy beach smell but not as penetrating.

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only noticed because he is on vacation so I am taking care of his tanks while he is gone so I drained the skimmer today and it was super strong compared to mine.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different 300 gallon systems in my house both are treated the same dosed same, fed same yet I have always wondered why the skimmate smells different on both of them. I wanted to make a thread about it but just thought I was crazy :)

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only smells bad if I don’t empty the cup frequently enough.

My theory is that the smell comes from rotting organics.

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if it’s the fact that I remove the entire cup and carefully carry it to the bathroom to dump it into the toilet. But, my buddy just holds a small container under the drain hose and empties it into that so the liquid is being shaken and stirred up allowing the smell to be dispersed.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why my buddies skimmate will stink up the entire house when draining the cup from his bubble magus and my reef octopus you almost have to stick your nose into the cup to smell it? Color and consistency is almost identical. The only difference I can think of is that I feed and use ab+ every other day and he feeds and doses daily. Is it just more concentrated regardless of color?
I just emptied my skimmer cup and holy cow that thing STUNK!!! It's an indescribable smell. LOL

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long ago I switched from the SCA skimmer my tank came with to the bubble magus z series. Same water, same maintenance routine and all that but as soon as the bubble magus broke in, the skimmate I started pulling from it had the worst smell ever. It doesn’t smell in the sump but draining the collection cup could easily clear a room. Both skimmers were pulling about the same amount out every day and in fact, the SCA skimmate was even heavier and less wet than the new skimmer’s but the smell is just so much worse.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my external skimmer . I have a separate collection cut that is essentially a container on the floor below the stand . It takes sometimes a week to fill and when it’s full you can’t smell anything until you empty it .

comparing it to a similar reef octopus external skimmer . It flowed into a 5gal pail and would empty it once per month . That one smelled very bad but only when opening the container and pouring it out .
Wonder if length of time it’s sitting and more time to decompose .
No matter what . They all stink

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most skimmers stink when you empty them, the variables of the particular skimmer, airflow, wet/dry skimmate and your maintenance interval determine how much it smells between empties. Every tank and routine are different.

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just wondered if the needle wheel differences cause smaller bubbles which pulls more organics from skimmer to skimmer which would in turn make the smells different.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long ago I switched from the SCA skimmer my tank came with to the bubble magus z series. Same water, same maintenance routine and all that but as soon as the bubble magus broke in, the skimmate I started pulling from it had the worst smell ever. It doesn’t smell in the sump but draining the collection cup could easily clear a room. Both skimmers were pulling about the same amount out every day and in fact, the SCA skimmate was even heavier and less wet than the new skimmer’s but the smell is just so much worse.
I totally understand. I went from the eshopps nano skimmer to the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and smimmate was darker in the eshopps and same amount in both but the Aquamaxx is pulling some insanely smelly skimmate. LOL

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back