View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new skimmer.
Specs of tank and sump
125 gallon reef ready marineland tank dual corner overflow
55 gallon sump

I need a protein skimmer that will work with running a airline from skimmer to outside. Also easy to tune in.

Been looking at simplicity skimmers, ro, and red sea 600 but that after thinking about that the 600 might be to big of a skimmer. I'm not going any bigger than what I have for a DT and sump.

Looking for suggestions.

Also the skimmer I have now is a pain to get adjusted. I will be taking that skimmer of cleaning it and saving it for my other tank I have just haven't had time to start building it.

Last edited:

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to say that the Red Sea 600 will be too small for your tank if anything. I run a RO 250-EXT on my 80 gallon display tank and that skimmer is what I'd recommend for your tank. The external skimmers are SUPER easy to adjust and dial in to your bioload. Large bioload, or small bioload like mine and you'll be able to tune it easily either way. Yes, they need to be feed by an extra pump or manifold, but they are incredibly stable and produce consistent results with very little fuss.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to say that the Red Sea 600 will be too small for your tank if anything. I run a RO 250-EXT on my 80 gallon display tank and that skimmer is what I'd recommend for your tank. The external skimmers are SUPER easy to adjust and dial in to your bioload. Large bioload, or small bioload like mine and you'll be able to tune it easily either way. Yes, they need to be feed by an extra pump or manifold, but they are incredibly stable and produce consistent results with very little fuss.
Typo I corrected it. Not 225 it's a 125 gallon.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typo I corrected it. Not 225 it's a 125 gallon.
Gotcha, then the 600 would probably work just fine for you. I would still recommend a RO skimmer as in my experience they are easy to adjust and built pretty solid as well. I'd defiantly recommend you spring extra for a DC skimmer at the very least though. Well worth the money.

Also, have you looked at Tunze's line of skimmers? I hear amazing things about them. Enough to buy one to try out in my new build.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, then the 600 would probably work just fine for you. I would still recommend a RO skimmer as in my experience they are easy to adjust and built pretty solid as well. I'd defiantly recommend you spring extra for a DC skimmer at the very least though. Well worth the money.

Also, have you looked at Tunze's line of skimmers? I hear amazing things about them. Enough to buy one to try out in my new build.
I can get my hands on a ro 202-s I believe is the model used for real a descent price.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specs of tank and sump
55 gallon sump

I need a protein skimmer that will work with running a airline from skimmer to outside. Also easy to tune in.

Been looking at simplicity skimmers, ro, and red sea 600 but that after thinking about that the 600 might be to big of a skimmer. I'm not going any bigger than what I have for a DT and sump.

Looking for suggestions.

Also the skimmer I have now is a pain to get adjusted. I will be taking that skimmer of cleaning it and saving it for my other tank I have just haven't had time to start building it.

For a huge air intake and all the above listed, ran a Bubble King mini 160 for about 7 years on a 110 gallon and was worth the steep price.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a ro hob skimmer on my first tank. I got it used. For a hob skmimer it was easy to tune and for what it was did the job well for a hob skimmer.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specs of tank and sump
55 gallon sump

Looking for suggestions.

I use a RSK 300 on my 65 gal and a RSK 900 on the 225. I like them both. Simple and easy to operate, dismantle and clean. Rotating neck cleaner is cool as well. The 600 should work great.
I guess you can run the air line from out side.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna recommend a sea side Aquatics skimmer. They come with a sicce pump that is bulletproof almost. Lol.
Idk if they are still in business or making them anymore. I purchased mine prob a yr and half ago.

Also I recommend the aquavitro salinity line as you can get the 2nd pump kit and make it recirculating
D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back