Skimmer and powehead

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking for some advise. I want to buy a skimmer and poweheads for my tank and I decided to follow the "buy once, cry once" philosophy for the the things that I miss to start my 150 gallons tank (105 display and 45 swamp).

For the skimmer I was thinking on buying the octopus 150sss with the varioS pump (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-150sss-6-space-saving-protein-skimmer-varios-reef-octopus.html).

For the pumps I was going to buy Tunz but now I am inclining to either buy:

2x 4k Gyre's - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4k-gyre-flow-pump-4000-gph-with-waveengine-le-controller-icecap.html

Or

2x EchoTech MP40's (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vort...quietdrive-propeller-pump-ecotech-marine.html)

The price difference between the two options is actually pretty substantial and I don't know if it's worth spending some extra bucks on the MP40's.

If anyone has better suggestions I would appreciate it. I am open to any advice lol

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking for some advise. I want to buy a skimmer and poweheads for my tank and I decided to follow the "buy once, cry once" philosophy for the the things that I miss to start my 150 gallons tank (105 display and 45 swamp).

For the skimmer I was thinking on buying the octopus 150sss with the varioS pump (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-150sss-6-space-saving-protein-skimmer-varios-reef-octopus.html).

For the pumps I was going to buy Tunz but now I am inclining to either buy:

2x 4k Gyre's - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4k-gyre-flow-pump-4000-gph-with-waveengine-le-controller-icecap.html

Or

2x EchoTech MP40's (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vort...quietdrive-propeller-pump-ecotech-marine.html)

The price difference between the two options is actually pretty substantial and I don't know if it's worth spending some extra bucks on the MP40's.

If anyone has better suggestions I would appreciate it. I am open to any advice lol
I've done some crying with different options. I have a 210 and getting flow across is approaching a challenge with traditional directed powerheads. I had two different sets in there and I had to change directions a couple times a week which did work but sorta annoying?

So finally I decided maybe the laminar flow would be better so I went with the gyre flow 4K and it's really made a difference. Either side of the gyre powerheads are adjustable so you can truly get flow all the way around the tank. None of the coral have to get blasted to have optimal flow from top to bottom. I do have a couple other very small Tunze powerheads going that never turn off but they're both in there as agitation for the back corners and also during slack times for gentle mixing during coral feeding intervals.

Ultimately I do recommend the Gyre option. Two thumbs up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Skimmer: Ice cap, Nyos, AquaMaxx or Reef Octo

Power heads: Koralia, Nero 3 or 5, Cobalt and MP40

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some crying with different options. I have a 210 and getting flow across is approaching a challenge with traditional directed powerheads. I had two different sets in there and I had to change directions a couple times a week which did work but sorta annoying?

So finally I decided maybe the laminar flow would be better so I went with the gyre flow 4K and it's really made a difference. Either side of the gyre powerheads are adjustable so you can truly get flow all the way around the tank. None of the coral have to get blasted to have optimal flow from top to bottom. I do have a couple other very small Tunze powerheads going that never turn off but they're both in there as agitation for the back corners and also during slack times for gentle mixing during coral feeding intervals.

Ultimately I do recommend the Gyre option. Two thumbs up.
Yeh that's what I liked about the Gyre, that each side is adjustable. The only thing I am not sure about is the Hydra controller.

Skimmer: Ice cap, Nyos, AquaMaxx or Reef Octo

Power heads: Koralia, Nero 3 or 5, Cobalt and MP40

I thought Nyos was not so good. Maybe they got better.

I will check the poweheads you listed.

I'm more expensive. Aquavitro salinity and tunze stream 3 or 1 mp60. Mp40s are over rated and weak imo. Yes they give good flow coverage.

D
1 mp60 for the entire tank?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Tunze 9430dc on my current 80g with 30g remote fuge and 40 breeder sump. Total 120.
Ran the same on my old 120 I took down. They are true beasts. Nothing to do but empty the cup.

I like Tunze 6105's but have been using Jeabo OW-40's. I like the Jebao controller better than Tunze. I have been running them and smaller ones on all my systems for over 5 years now.
I had one issue with a controller and thats it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried that one won't be enough for the tank lol I am new to this so I see people even buying 4 for a 4x2x2 haha
Yep I ran 6 on my 120 but it was filled with sticks. Currently run 4 in my 80g growout system.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I ran 6 on my 120 but it was filled with sticks. Currently run 4 in my 80g growout system.
Here is the 120 for reference.
20220106_131923.jpg

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am Ecotec all the way. There customer support for me has been the absolute best to deal with the one time I needed them. I have 6 M1 return pumps, 3 MP60s, 2 MP40s, and 6 of the Radion Gen 5 lights.

For the skimmer I like the octopus line.

You will get so many different opinions, and none of them are wrong. For me its the customer service that will win me over every time.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 120 for reference.
20220106_131923.jpg

Your tank looks awesome!

When going with multiple poweheads, you combine the GPH of all of them to meet the requirements of your tank, right?

I am Ecotec all the way. There customer support for me has been the absolute best to deal with the one time I needed them. I have 6 M1 return pumps, 3 MP60s, 2 MP40s, and 6 of the Radion Gen 5 lights.

For the skimmer I like the octopus line.

You will get so many different opinions, and none of them are wrong. For me its the customer service that will win me over every time.
I have heard great things about their customer support which is one of the reasons why I am contemplating the MP40's. I mean if I am correct, my display is only 105 gallons, so I could go with two MP10's. But maybe I am wrong.

I think I already made up my mind on the skimmer.

OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Tunze 9430dc on my current 80g with 30g remote fuge and 40 breeder sump. Total 120.
Ran the same on my old 120 I took down. They are true beasts. Nothing to do but empty the cup.

I like Tunze 6105's but have been using Jeabo OW-40's. I like the Jebao controller better than Tunze. I have been running them and smaller ones on all my systems for over 5 years now.
I had one issue with a controller and thats it.
Wow the Jebao OW-40 is really cheap lol. What's the catch?

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank looks awesome!

When going with multiple poweheads, you combine the GPH of all of them to meet the requirements of your tank, right?

I have heard great things about their customer support which is one of the reasons why I am contemplating the MP40's. I mean if I am correct, my display is only 105 gallons, so I could go with two MP10's. But maybe I am wrong.

MP40s you can turn down to the desired flow rate, and it would be better for the powerhead and last longer, where the MP10 you may have to turn further up which could lead to a louder pump. I know that if I turn mine up they will get louder, not that anything is wrong with them, it just they have to work harder.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome!

On the 120 all the powerheads were 2500 to 3000gph. 2 Tunze 6095 back wall, 2 OW-40's on each side amd 2 6105's. One 6105 was a no controller model. It ran 100% when the lights were on then off at night.
The other power heads were run on wave/random mode all at 100%. This created a very random flow as the 5 were constantly changing.
I do the same with 4 in the 80.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the Jebao OW-40 is really cheap lol. What's the catch?
The catch is I have 6 backups and have not used one, except for a controller that I replaced with one from ebay.

I am a Tunze guy from way back and the OW series are a decent pump for the money. I currently have 7 OW's on 3 different systems that consist of 4 tanks.

Back