Skimmer and refuge???

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I’m new to aquariums and I’ll be cycling my tank beginning tomorrow.
I have a 20 gallon tank. My fish will be a clownfish. Once cycled I’ll be adding anenomes. I have an HOB canister filter and read that I’ll need an HOB skimmer and refuge. Are there different types of skimmers and refuges. Or are all skimmers protein skimmers? What exactly are skimmers and refuges? Any suggested reading would be great.Pardon the newbieness.thanks

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re like me, you’ve asked this question and in the last 10 min spent time searching and finding your answers. Or someone way better than me will jump in and help; but just in case, IMO:

All skimmers are protein skimmers. They remove bad stuff like fish waste, and help oxygenate the water.

Refuge remove nutrients differently. But I find messy and the small size on HOB, maybe not worth it.

Definitely skimmer but HOB are hard to find a good one, expect to spend a few hundred and go for a bigger size than you need.

HOB filters like power filters and bio wheels are ok.

Canister filters are ok too, I’ve used them on FOWLR but you need to clean monthly if not more. For the size of your tank, a HOB power filter / bio wheel and a Skimmer will work.

Hope that helps for now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back