- Joined
- May 17, 2024
- Messages
- 128
- Reaction score
- 123
- Location
- San Diego
- What state or country do you live in
- California
Hello,
Trying to understand this to play with the possiblities. In a reef conversation it was said that the more flow you have from your display to the sump the better. Go as far as your return will allow you.
I have a 20gal display with a 30ish gall sump on a vectra s2, I was running at 30%. After the conversation I went up to 80% on the vectra.
My only filtration is a skimmer (Tiunze 9400DC). I have some live rock on the sump but that's there just because. With the increased flow I noticed my skimmer started not working as well. It's wierd but even though have no filtration the diplay seemed to look better, hard to explain.
Anyway the increased flow decreased the skimmer efficiency. I always wanted to put an oversized skmmer but heard that it was better a smaller skimmer propelry tuned. Now I am just wondering. Can I oversize the skimmer and increase the flow?
Is there any information available regarding the flow on skimmer chamber, the only thing I found was some old forums with this questions but nothing deep.
Any thoughts?
Trying to understand this to play with the possiblities. In a reef conversation it was said that the more flow you have from your display to the sump the better. Go as far as your return will allow you.
I have a 20gal display with a 30ish gall sump on a vectra s2, I was running at 30%. After the conversation I went up to 80% on the vectra.
My only filtration is a skimmer (Tiunze 9400DC). I have some live rock on the sump but that's there just because. With the increased flow I noticed my skimmer started not working as well. It's wierd but even though have no filtration the diplay seemed to look better, hard to explain.
Anyway the increased flow decreased the skimmer efficiency. I always wanted to put an oversized skmmer but heard that it was better a smaller skimmer propelry tuned. Now I am just wondering. Can I oversize the skimmer and increase the flow?
Is there any information available regarding the flow on skimmer chamber, the only thing I found was some old forums with this questions but nothing deep.
Any thoughts?
