Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

conorhayes13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Still no closer to finding a skimmer for my tank. The display is 65 gallons, with the sump being around 35 - 40 gallons. Tank will be highly stocked, with the Triton Method.

So far I am thinking of:
Deltec 600i (DC)
Reef Octo regal 150-Int
Reef octo regal 170-ext

I know I shouldn't oversize much, but not sure if this is different with the Triton Method.

Any help is appreciated.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Still no closer to finding a skimmer for my tank. The display is 65 gallons, with the sump being around 35 - 40 gallons. Tank will be highly stocked, with the Triton Method.

So far I am thinking of:
Deltec 600i (DC)
Reef Octo regal 150-Int
Reef octo regal 170-ext

I know I shouldn't oversize much, but not sure if this is different with the Triton Method.

Any help is appreciated.
I know that oversizing a skimmer is not good but undersized is worse. With today's adjustable DC pumps and the adjustability of the skimmers themselves, it is easier to adjust down the skimmate produced than to buy a new skimmer. As we all know, we reefers are never satisfied and end up upgrading, usually in tank size. Having a skimmer that is bigger than you need may save you from having to buy a new skimmer when the inevitable happens.

OP
OP
conorhayes13

conorhayes13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that oversizing a skimmer is not good but undersized is worse. With today's adjustable DC pumps and the adjustability of the skimmers themselves, it is easier to adjust down the skimmate produced than to buy a new skimmer. As we all know, we reefers are never satisfied and end up upgrading, usually in tank size. Having a skimmer that is bigger than you need may save you from having to buy a new skimmer when the inevitable happens.

So I couldn go with the Deltec, and just turn the pump down to make it produce less skimmate?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not DC but I just installed a RO Essence 130 on my 53G. I have only two fish and and a snail right now. It's still breaking in but was skimming in a day. I can barely hear it. It has incremental valve settings. Super easy to take apart.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the similar size range. I’ve got a Somatic 60s, which claims to be sized for a heavily stocked 60-80 but this skimmer is massive for a small tank! I’m also looking at the new aquamaxx fc skimmers.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO deltec is a good skimmer and reef octopus just as good, probably more durable, for less money

With the triton method at first you will wish you bought a bigger skimmer. That will quickly pass and once algae gets established you’ll wish you bought a smaller one. Think regular sizing guide is good for applying to triton method. And every manufacturer exaggerates how much their skimmer can handle

OP
OP
conorhayes13

conorhayes13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO deltec is a good skimmer and reef octopus just as good, probably more durable, for less money

With the triton method at first you will wish you bought a bigger skimmer. That will quickly pass and once algae gets established you’ll wish you bought a smaller one. Think regular sizing guide is good for applying to triton method. And every manufacturer exaggerates how much their skimmer can handle

I see. Thing is that most of the reef octo skimmers in the UK are the expensive, higher end options. The deltec isn't much more expensive than most of them

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Deltec, however, not a fan of the DC versions. Get the AC version, less stuff to fuss with and break down (controller, power supply). I own the prior generation SCA 1351 with the tried and true AC Aquabee pump.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back