Skimmer cup full of water???

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay usually my bf do all the stuff under the tank but hes gone right now. i noticed that my skimmer cup is just shy by 1/2 inch of being completely full of water. lots of bubbles and water. its not usually like this obviously so wondering what the problem would be so maybe i can fix it....

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to adjust the standpipe so it doesn't come out so wet. Or is your sump more full of water than usual?

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water seems about the same level as usual. is staying at the top of my divider between the two sections in the sump. how do i adjust the standpipe? told ya i have no clue on this part of it all. guess its time i learn :)

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and what is the standpipe? you mean the white pipe with the round sponge around it. i tried pulling on it up and it doesnt wanna seem to come up further.

Last edited:

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I second that. Different skimmers are adjusted differently.

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah leave it for him if you dont know how to adjust it but definitly get him to show you how to adjust it so if it happens again you know exactly what to do

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. no i do the cup regularly and take it off and wipe it off. anyways i guess i decided to learn by doing. so i took the skimmer off the pump and out of the sump and took the pump and hose apart and ran hot water and cleaned everything off and put it all back together and it works. so guess maybe it was a little clog or something. anyways thanks for the input,

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha maybe you do know more than i expected if you took the whole thing out to clean it. Haha Good job.

OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. yeah i took it all apart and took the pump out too. and took the front off the pump and wiped it out. and took a toothpick to the small pump opening and scraped around in it to clean it out and everything. so put it back in sump and put it all back together. so happy it is working :)

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have to clean my skimmer twice a week because of all the gunk that gets the head and cup just seems to hold it back IMO i like to keep my equipment as clean as possible i know it takes extra time but like i said IMO it helps performance and easier on your eyes

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back