skimmer deep clean and question about getting it going again.

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2021
Messages
91
Reaction score
44
Location
Coral Springs, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the venturi on my protein skimmer broke and I ordered a new one. Figured it would be a good time to do a deep clean so I cleaned it out with Water/vinegar solution. not pictured is the motor which I also took apart to clean the impeller. Question- it's been off the tank for 4 days. as you can see there's some coraline I couldn't get off the main chamber. It's still purple but it must be dead by now. does that present any kind of problem or can I just reassemble it and let it get back to work?

IMG_1231.JPEG
 
I'd suggest removing it for optimal performance. A peroxide soak should do the trick. Instead of vinegar, many will suggest citric acid to minimize impact to magnets inside impellers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new