Skimmer Direction?

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter which direction the skimmer pump is facing in the sump? I have a 150SSS in a Fiji cube 20 and it takes up ALL the room lol. I would prefer to have the pump facing in a way that allows me to use the acryllic cover that comes with the sump (standpipe in the back) and also makes it easier to take the cup off. But Im not sure if it is counter productive to not have the pump facing the direction of where the water actually enters the chamber. Thoughts?

IMG_9820.png IMG_9822.png IMG_9823.png

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer that skimmer pump intake faces water coming from display, and skimmer output facing toward next chamber on its way to return pump, but it probably doesn’t matter.
Think what matters more is how many gph your skimmer can process, as compared to how many gph your return pump is processing

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer that skimmer pump intake faces water coming from display, and skimmer output facing toward next chamber on its way to return pump, but it probably doesn’t matter.
Think what matters more is how many gph your skimmer can process, as compared to how many gph your return pump is processing
Im using a Varios 4 return pump, so 1050 gph but its controllable and there is a total of about 5 ft of head pressure. The pump on the skimmer is rated around 300 gph but isnt controllable.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a Varios 4 return pump, so 1050 gph but its controllable and there is a total of about 5 ft of head pressure. The pump on the skimmer is rated around 300 gph but isnt controllable.
What size is display?

OP
OP
B

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you adjusting return pump to around the 300 gph skimmer is doing?
That’d be 4x display tank volume per hour and perfect imo
Yep. Just bought the return a model up since it was controllable, incase i ever went with a bigger tank in the bedroom

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back