Skimmer Drain Question

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All I recently bought a new Life Reef Skimmer. It has a drain line for the cup. I was Thinking I would like to find a solenoid valve for this and hook it to my Apex so I could get it to drain when I am out working. Anyone out there doing this?

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All I recently bought a new Life Reef Skimmer. It has a drain line for the cup. I was Thinking I would like to find a solenoid valve for this and hook it to my Apex so I could get it to drain when I am out working. Anyone out there doing this?
Just curious why you wouldn't just let it drain all the time?

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious why you wouldn't just let it drain all the time?
Well mostly cause of the smell, it would truly reek but I guess thining about it would be the same if I just opened it one or 2 times a week also. I travel for work I have some one that comes to the house to being mail and thengs but I don't like him messing with the tank at all. So I try and automate it so I can call in and do it from where ever

hartin461

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever consider one of these?

IMG_1441.JPG

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the smell is an issue take a milk container and dril a hole in the lid that's the same size as the drain line this should help contain the odor

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the smell is an issue take a milk container and dril a hole in the lid that's the same size as the drain line this should help contain the odor
Yeah I thought about that but Jeff from Lifereef recommends not leaving the valve open so I was thinking about a valve and a stitch I just wrote a question on the BRS site to see if I can make the skimmate container work I may call Jeff at Lifereef Monday too

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back