Skimmer effeciency and nutrients questions

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I recently removed my roller filter to make room for a larger skimmer, mainly to increase Ph.
My NO3 and PO4 are a little higher than I'd like (15ish and 0.17).
My question is, why is my skimmer only pulling out thin 'morning urin' colored skimmate?
I've never seen any of my skimmers pull out dark skimmate, no matter how the settings are (high/low air intake).
It just seems like I'm not running my skimmer very effecient.

Suggestions please?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but my first suggestion is that you are just running too much of the bubbles over the edge of the cup. I only get darker skimmate then I only allow a smaller volume of bubbles to get over the edge and into the collection cup.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but my first suggestion is that you are just running too much of the bubbles over the edge of the cup. I only get darker skimmate then I only allow a smaller volume of bubbles to get over the edge and into the collection cup.
It could very well be, I just need to try a few settings. Just watched the BRS video on the subject again.
The cup is about half full once a week. It could be to much air, simply not allowing the organics/bubbles to rise before bursting.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that you meantion high/low air intake for settings but you didn't mention adjusting the water level in the skimmer. Are you getting really thin skimmate with the valve all the way open? If not just lower the water level in the skimmer so the foam has to travel farther before making it into the collection cup.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that you meantion high/low air intake for settings but you didn't mention adjusting the water level in the skimmer. Are you getting really thin skimmate with the valve all the way open? If not just lower the water level in the skimmer so the foam has to travel farther before making it into the collection cup.
I actually have the output pretty closed/high waterlevel.
It might just be all the different ways of adjusting that I can't find the optimal settings between them.
I can't seem to get thick foam, which puzzles me: if nutrients are a bit high, there should be something for the skimmer to pull out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the output pretty closed/high waterlevel.
It might just be all the different ways of adjusting that I can't find the optimal settings between them.
I can't seem to get thick foam, which puzzles me: if nutrients are a bit high, there should be something for the skimmer to pull out.
If you are getting a stable foam at all you should be able to lower the water level in the skimmer to thicken your skimmate. If you don't get a stable foam at all and the bubbles just pop, it is usually a sign that you have too much air.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a stable foam at all you should be able to lower the water level in the skimmer to thicken your skimmate. If you don't get a stable foam at all and the bubbles just pop, it is usually a sign that you have too much air.
That was my understanding also, but might not be the case everytime.
I just started all over adjusting the skimmer, and seems the more air it pulls the smaller the bubbles, which leads to thicker foam. Will try to keep it like this and adjust waterlevel, without touching the speed(DC pump) or air intake.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back